Russo Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pconnor42

Sep 28, 2009
Western NY
We have a Russo wood/coal burning stove that was given to us and are looking to install it but we were hoping to find an owner's manual for it to make sure we have all the specs correct. Does anyone out there have an owner's manul they could email? I don't know the exact model number but I've attached a picture if that helps? Also, if anyone has any experience with this particular stove, I would appreciate any feedback in regards to its performance.

Attachments

• stove 003.jpg
    stove 003.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 3,734
pconnor42 said:
We have a Russo wood/coal burning stove that was given to us and are looking to install it but we were hoping to find an owner's manual for it to make sure we have all the specs correct. Does anyone out there have an owner's manul they could email? I don't know the exact model number but I've attached a picture if that helps? Also, if anyone has any experience with this particular stove, I would appreciate any feedback in regards to its performance.

PM me with your email , I had the same stove and I kept a copy of the manual.

Woodbutcher

Ratman said:
Love your old stove!
A good friend of mine has an old Russo.
Stove works great, lasts for years and gee wiz, his house is always warm.

How large is the house he heats with his stove? Thanks everyone for the feedback and help!

I've been told here before it's a better coal burner than a wood burner (I only burned wood in it). It was a good little heater and got me by till I could get another stove.
I won't lie, there was a point when the WoodButcher could not wait to get rid of it..... previous to the Russo I was used to running
a VC Resolute cat and a Jotul F100. So... one might say I am Bias, I say probably spoiled. But in any case here it is Black & White pro's/cons for burning wood in your Russo.

Pros:
Blower was pretty quiet
Stove is manufactured really well with thick steel
Good design on the ash pan with handle

Cons:
It's a smoke dragon, the baffle design is very poor
The rear vent draft control (no comment)
The glass never stayed clean - no air wash
Short burn times

Suggestions:
Try burning with the bricks over the shaker grate with air spaces between them, my fires lasted a bit longer than burning wood directly on the grate. Test it both ways, see which one works better for you.
There is a sweet spot between the front and rear draft control, you just gotta play with it.
Keep the blower motor oiled like the manual says.

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.