Rust in fittings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rvtgr8

I am beginning to hone in on my Garn 1500 installation. Thanks again to all of you that have been giving me advice. I am going to plumb an initial loop of schedule 40 2" black steel pipe as per suggestions. In essence, the Garn will be serving what I think will be a 90 plate HX, a 500 gal. spa and a single radiator. It has raised a few questions in my mind.

1] How essential are the dielectric fittings through this loop? It looks as though the circulator in this loop will be cast iron.

2] I am doing this in 2" black steel and have in my possession a ton of black steel fittings. The rub is that they got wet and have some rust in them. Is this problematic? If not, can they be used? Or does this dielectric caution trump the use of any regular steel fittings?

3] The radiator I am using in my hot tub area is about 100 years old. It does not leak but it does have a dusting of oxidation on the inside (not scaly or flaky) which I can rub onto my finger. Should I treat this rust?

Thanks

Robert

My EKO40 came with a couple of chemical soutions the first being a "flush" to remove harmful chemicals and if I remember correctly the oxidate film you are speaking of. The second solution was to balance ph and scavenge O2 from the system. Particulate matter like the iron oxide would not be good for the pump(s) though it may dissolve in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.