Rust inside my chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ktrwe

Oct 26, 2015
Outside Washington DC
ALCON,

I am moving my wood stove from the basement to the main level. A stove company come out and gave me a quote to install the chimney pipe. They expressed concern stating that there was rust inside the chimney pipe (double walled galvanized pipe), the rust was an indication of a chimney fire and that all the piping should be replaced.

I had another company come out they looked at the pipe and said I was good to go using that pipe.

There is rust in the pipe, however the pipe is cleaned every year and there is no rust on the outside of the pipe

Can someone provide me an unbiased opinion as to weather or not I should use the existing pipe?

Thanks

Sounds like a good plan to put the stove where you want the heat. How old is the chimney? Do you suspect there was a chimney fire? If the interior of the chimney pipe is showing corrosion or rusting, I'd replace it. It might last another year or two, but why take the chance on it failing when you really need it, like in the dead of winter? This might be worth getting another opinion from a certified chimney sweep. You can find one in your area by entering your zip code here: www.csia.org

Status
Not open for further replies.