Rust remover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swagler85

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2012
NE Ohio
seansellsohio.com
Had some rust due to humidity on my stove this summer. I took some steel wool to it and got almost all of it off but there is some deeper rust spots that the wool wont remove. I bought some stove paste to put on it but want all the rust gone first. Any ideas on what to take to the stove that will get rid if the rust and not damage it?

76411r.jpg

I'd try this before a grinding wheel.

You can also try emery cloth or even sandpaper. The wire brush as shown above can get the big stuff off and then finish with something a bit less harsh. btw, that wire brush works great when changing gaskets.

You can also try emery cloth or even sandpaper. The wire brush as shown above can get the big stuff off and then finish with something a bit less harsh. btw, that wire brush works great when changing gaskets.

And might I add that use some oil with the emery cloth. ;) Lasts longer, and gives a better surface finish. (I do a lot of Lathe work)

WD 40...the wonder oil

Reactions: Defiant
Nope, it was the WD 45 that followed the WD. And yes, I spent many hours on that one too.

naval jelly and then paint it afterafter.. or do the stove polish whatever that is. Had to do that to the inside of my stove this spring, was pretty rusty behind some of the firebricks for some reason.

Water displacement is the means by which WD-40 prevents corrosion. 40 is for the 40th attempt by inventor Norm Larsen to effectively formulate a mixture that would achieve that end.

"Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try". Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. It was originally only an industrial product, and the company was called Rocket Chemical Company. The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958, 5 years after original development. The company changed it's name from Rocket Chemical to WD-40 in 1969.

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.