Rust spots in a new Opel fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twerner

Dec 8, 2015
Issaquah, WA
Hi all,

I just noticed last night that there are rust spots in the top of my brand new Opel 3 fireplace that can be seen through the top louver. See attached photo.

The fireplace is just a month old and I've only had about 10 fires. It's not currently leaking so I know it came this way. I've reached out to RSF but haven't heard back.

Has anyone seen something like this before and if so what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• fireplace_top.jpg
    fireplace_top.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 259
I'd clean the area up, maybe touch up the area with a bit of stove paint and watch it. In particular I don't like that tannish dust on the pipe. If it returns or the rust comes back and indicates a leak, alert the dealer.

Looks like a puddle of water was on it from a chimney leak.

I'm certain this is not a leak in my chimney but that it came this way. It's a brand new fireplace and chimney. The more I think about it, I believe I saw these marks right after they installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.