Rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Harman P61A stove, gave it the first good cleaning of the year today. In behind the ash box where the fan is the slider that holds the fan in place was a little rusted. No big deal, got it open and cleaned.

My question, is there something I can put onto it to remove and prevent rust or do I just have to deal?

Thanks!

Both my stoves developed rust over the first summer that I had them. I now seal them up tight when not in use and leave a Damp-rid in the fire box. What rust is there can be removed with a phosphoric acid preparation (Naval Jelly or Coca-Cola). If it is only cosmetic I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Bigjim13
Both my stoves developed rust over the first summer that I had them. I now seal them up tight when not in use and leave a Damp-rid in the fire box. What rust is there can be removed with a phosphoric acid preparation (Naval Jelly or Coca-Cola). If it is only cosmetic I wouldn't bother.
Not really cosmetic, just makes cleaning the fan hard to get at. Good info though, thanks!

yea, like Harvey said....most rust will form when the unit isn't in use (spring-summer-fall)....the damp-rid should help!

I use a coating of neverseize grease there, on the door hinge pins and where the door latch runs on the stove. Makes for smooth movement an doesn't just evaporate.

I had the same problem the second season I fired up the stove. I believe it is caused by down drafts down the flue in the summer when the windows are open. I'm not sure what conditions pulled warm, humid summer air through my stove. I put ball of aluminum foil in the flue pipe the following year and no rust. You just need to remember to pull it out prior to the first fire.

I pull the venting and power wash out. Thimble gets a plastic container stuck into for summer to keep out the vermin. Cover the stoves vents with cheap plastic bags and shoot some fogging oil into the stove after a proper cleaning if I get to it. I have little problems with the pipes as we burn some corn. An hour or so now versus $$ latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.