Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Looked inside the stove today and this is what I saw. The last several (5 or 6) fires back in April were full throttle (bypass closed, thermostat all open). It cleaned the firebox and glass very well. Should I be concerned?

2568F3BB-154D-46C6-95DC-A801C74CCC28.jpeg

Looks like surface rust to me. Would probably come right off with a wire brush

There was a previous thread about this a while back. It appears it’s from the humid summer air making its way into the stove during the off season. Some say damp rid, moisture absorbers, or disconnecting the flue during the summer. I was told the first fire will take care of that small amount of rust. I used damp rid this summer.

Reactions: Itslay90 and Diabel
In the manual for the pellet stove i used to own, it said to spray down the firebox with cooking oil spray. It worked great, no more rust. I don't know if it would be ok to do in these stoves with the firebricks or not.

In the manual for the pellet stove i used to own, it said to spray down the firebox with cooking oil spray. It worked great, no more rust. I don't know if it would be ok to do in these stoves with the firebricks or not.
I would be more worried about the catalyst. But pine has lots of “oils”. Long hydrocarbons and the cat does fine with them. Damp rid and disconnecting the flue would be my choice