Rusted single wall pipe...overfiring smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Our single wall pipe has surface rust on it. Also has lightened to a gray at the base. Should it be replaced? And could it be causing an overfiring smell? (We have a flue thermometer on it, not overfiring at all).

Edit to add: Just cleaned out the flue a couple days ago, it's clean.

Surface rust doesn't bother me much as long as it can come off without much work. If it is deeper in the metal, I'd suggest a swap out. I've not had black pipe turn colors on me. Not sure if you are, but using galvanized pipe is not such a good idea. It off-gasses some toxic stuff when heated--might be what you smell.

Is this a first fire or first hot fire of the year? Normally I get strange smells during the first fire of the year. I did yesterday. May be dust accumulation, possibly some moisture burning off etc.

If it's turned gray that is often a sign of over firing...most stove/high temp paint is good for 1200*...would explain the smell too

Reactions: SpaceBus
If it's turned gray that is often a sign of over firing...most stove/high temp paint is good for 1200*...would explain the smell too

Or it’s just cheap. Like using the cheapest “high temp” paint for 2$ a can. My cheap single wall paint has grayed out significantly near the stove and has only ever been as high as 500. Thinking back, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen single wall pipe that looked like new after being used for long. Double wall looks like new for many years.

Stoves stink when you start them up in the fall. It’s dust burning.

Squeeze the pipe. When single wall gets old it will get thin and soft.

Reactions: moresnow