Rusty and White - 8" Oval Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsticks

Mar 19, 2010
NW New Jersey
Hi All,
Yesterday was the annual stove cleaning at my hacienda. I have a Vermont Castings Vigilant, love that cast iron stove. I took apart all the stove pipe to brush it out and inspect for any rust or pitting that could lead to a major stove pipe failure.

My 8" oval coming out of the stove into the 90 degree elbow had turned white, snow white, and the seam in oval was starting to rust and had a small rusty hole in it. I switched out the white rusty oval with a brand new one I had in a box as spare. But I got to thinking, what would have turned the oval white? The rust could be from the basement tempurature changes throughout the year. I use a humidifier down there during the spring/summer.

I thought I would post my situation on this forum and see if anyone else has ever had this happen to them.

Thanks a lot!

Bsticks

Sounds like it was overheated or galvanized. Was this heavy gauge stove pipe or a regular galvanized vent elbow from the hardware store? When did it start turning white? Was over the summer or during last season's burning?

Are there any light grey areas on the stove sides, front or top?

Hi there,
It started last season and it's not from a hardware store. I came from the stove store I have always used. No greying on the bottom, top or sides of the stove.

The stove was over fired once early in the season, but for the most part the stove temps were enough not over heat the stove.

I did wipe it down after last burning season with warm soap and water. At the time, I did have a water softner but since has been disable.

Well, regardless, it's due for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.