Rusty stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Themlruts

Sep 16, 2012
So my stove is a year and half old. Classic Bay 1200 I have used it for 1 full year this past winter. I cleaned it out after the winter. I wanted to a deep clean before the season. I pulled the stove out and find a significant amount a rust. Some even on the out side of the stove. Stove sits in my fireplace year round.
Not sure if this is normal? I called where i bought it and he said to scrap it and spray it. Should it do this after 1 year of use? Even the outside? I am thinking about writting the company. I paid a lot of money for this stove.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 156
It looks like the unit is in a pretty high humidity, damp location. Our 1200i had none of that rusting after 5 years.

Is this in a basement? Is the chimney top cap well sealed or leaking?

We have split level its in the lower level not basement. Its a finished room on slab

We have split level its in the lower level not basement. Its a finished room on slab

I don't think the dealer will do a whole lot just because he can't control the environment its in. I would say get as much rust off as you can, then get some high temp paint and paint it.

Next year do the same thing but in addition put a tub of that damp rid stuff in the stove.

The inside is a common place for rust (if no Pam (cooking spray) or WD-40 was applied to the inside of the firebox).

Did you get a can of Stove Brite with the stove? I don't know how much the dealer can do for you? You can try and get some free paint from Quad? Dont know.. :(

The outside.... No, it shouldnt rust.. My stove is over 4 yrs old and not a spot of rust (on the inside either, but I paint and spray at the end of season) on it. Actually temps dipped last night and I fired it for 35 mins this morning before work. Prepped it last night (unplugged OAK, exhaust, removed Damp rid, removed Fake logs, plugged into surge protector, 1 bag of pellets, etc).

This was this morning. Oh, and I wipe it down (entire exterior) with Furniture polish once a month.

Quadfirstfire.jpg

Dexter,

Furniture polish during the off-season I take it? Any fumes or smell when it burns off? Not sure how this would work on an enamel stove.

Speaking of, any care tips for taking care of the enamel?

OK, thanks Scott. See you in the morning.

I use the furniture polish whenever I clean. Whether I am burning or not.

I dont slap it on real thick. Just light enough to leave a Shine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.