Rutland’s Safe Lite firestarter squares

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
I picked up a box of these last October and they worked very well.There're 144 squares per box about an inch and a quarter each side.One will start a fire.I use two for good measure.I found them at a wood stove store for $21.95 then ran across them at HD for $12.95 however ACE hardware can order them for $10.95.Just another good buy from ACE.

Hey Rich,

I just picked one of those boxes up yesterday for 10.95 at a place called Klem's here in central Mass. Good to know that one square will light the fire! I used four the first time, but I'll try just the one and see how it goes. I looked at Walmart and TSC for firestarters and could not find any. Funny, this is the best time of the year to carry these, in the winter the fire goes 24/7 for a lot of people who burn wood.

andrewdee said:
I buy them at my local ACE for 11.95 they work great

$11.95 is a good price much better than $21.95 at your stove shops that carry them.Also they do work great.I didn't need to use my super cedars.

VCBurner said:
Hey Rich,

I just picked one of those boxes up yesterday for 10.95 at a place called Klem's here in central Mass. Good to know that one square will light the fire! I used four the first time, but I'll try just the one and see how it goes. I looked at Wamart and TSC for firestarters and could not find any. Funny, this is the best time of the year to carry these, in the winter the fire goes 24/7 for a lot of people who burn wood.

Ya we're on the same page with the price.I did get a fire going with one I just felt more confident with two starters.I used them mostly for my second stove which I don't run 24/7 only during the extreme cold do I run both stoves.I don't find these starters in many places.I called Rutland to see who their distributors were when HD ran out of them and they told me ACE hardware.So I got three boxes and may get more before the price goes up which they will when folks get wind of them.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Those things are awesome. I have no need for newspaper anymore.
So true,now what am I going to do with all my saved up newspaper and kindling.They're obsolete now.

KarlP said:
Rich L said:
$11.95 is a good price much better than $21.95 at your stove shops that carry them.

Every couple of years I get a half dozen of them them dropped at my doorstep. Right now they are $10.39 each that way.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4198180

(Your shipping may vary.)

That's a great deal.It all depends on the shipping cost if it would be worth it.How much was your shipping charge to your location?However $10.39 is the lowest I've heard of.How much were they when you first started using them?

$10.39 comes from $8.50 each with $11.39 shipping for six. I'm also in eastern MA so I assume yours would be the same.

I bought one box of them from Walmart in 2005(?) and really liked how they worked. Only place I could find them locally after that was for $20 at the stove shop. The price from acehardwareoutlet has been $10something for five years now. It looks like my first order they were $8.99 each but shipping cost less.

Status
Not open for further replies.