Rutland Chimney Sweep Extension Rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay106n

Minister of Fire
Apr 1, 2015
Litchfield County, CT
I plan on buying two packs of Rutland Chimney Sweep Extension 3ft rods, but they are at least $30.00 per pack (18 ft per pack). My question is how flexible are the rods? I have a high salt box type roof that I have no intentions of climbing therefor I would like to sweep from the clean out box in the basement where my stove is. Will the rods make the 45 degree turn up the flu?

Last edited:
If it's the same as the ones I use (likely is), I don't see it making a 45* turn.....never tried though.

Hmm ok.The product description says they will bend approximately 45 degrees.

HD had a few packages in stock, so I got 2 packs of the Rutland rods and a 8x12 brush, for about 90 bucks total. I gave the chimney sweep a go from the clean out box in the basement. The fiberglass rod on the 2nd attachment splintered and snapped in 2 almost immediately. My wife wont let me clean the chimney from the top down due to the high/steep roof and she doesn't want me dead quite yet, so I guess it is time to call a pro sweep. It is not a total loss though, because I still have an open fireplace on the 1st floor, which I should be able to sweep on my own from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.