Rutland Creosote Toss-In Removers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k3c4forlife

Oct 30, 2009
Last night I was in Home Depot with the wife looking for Christmas lights and my body got pulled towards chainsaw / wood stove corner. They are selling Rutland creosote-to-ash toss-in sticks for $1.80 each. It says use 2 the first week and 2 the second week and then one a week after that. You just throw the little capsule into the fire and it supposedly turns your creosote build up into ash. Do these things work?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(151sppyqqksrx555bytqqm55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4252466

Thanks
Kevin

That type of product is used to turn glaze type creosote into something fluffier and thus brushable. They are not a substitute for regular, manual cleaning.

Ya, I will be cleaning regularly. Do these toss-ins make it safer in between cleanings? $2/week is worth the chance the increased creosote reduction if it helps at all

I can't tell you, scientifically speaking, if those products make your chimney any "safer" or not between brushings. What I do know, however, is that glaze (stage 3) type creosote is basically impossible to remove by brushing alone, and it is also very flammable. So, if you had that type of creosote, then using one of these products could, in theory, make one safer by turning that glaze into something brushable.

Based on personal observation, I can say that with seasoned wood in an EPA certified stove (burned correctly), real creosote buildup can be a thing of the past. What I get out of my flue looks nothing like the stuff I saw coming from the old Fishers when I was growing up. I get brown flakes that look like coffee grounds when I brush. I saw huge pieces of black, shiny, and crispy looking stuff come out of flue with non-EPA stoves.

This is my first year burning. I am burning pretty wet wood. Just have to make it through this winter... Is this a good option for me? Like I said for $2 a week it is worth it either way. I'll do 2 a week for the next 4 months if it can get me through the winter safely.

If you are regularly burning wet wood, then it may very well be in your best interest to use such a product. It should make your cleanings easier and more productive. Just remember that there is no substitute for: 1.) regular inspections of the flue during the burning season and 2.) regular, manual cleanings of the flue during burning season.

Cool, thanks Pagey

Would anyone recommend any better products out there that you can burn to minimize creosote build up in between regular sweeping??

Thanks,
Kevin

These products often loosen some build up and it falls down the flue to the stove, so if there are any offsets or 90's, the stuff that falls may accumulate there. Watch out for that, as it could ignite more easily in that location. As others have said, used in conjunction with cleaning is the best.

Better yet pick up a 2 lb tub of Rutland Creosote Remover for about $10. It's a much better value. I get mine at Tractor Supply Company.

Pagey said:
That type of product is used to turn glaze type creosote into something fluffier and thus brushable. They are not a substitute for regular, manual cleaning.

+1 to Pagey's comment

Pagey said:
I can't tell you, scientifically speaking, if those products make your chimney any "safer" or not between brushings. What I do know, however, is that glaze (stage 3) type creosote is basically impossible to remove by brushing alone, and it is also very flammable. So, if you had that type of creosote, then using one of these products could, in theory, make one safer by turning that glaze into something brushable.

Based on personal observation, I can say that with seasoned wood in an EPA certified stove (burned correctly), real creosote buildup can be a thing of the past. What I get out of my flue looks nothing like the stuff I saw coming from the old Fishers when I was growing up. I get brown flakes that look like coffee grounds when I brush. I saw huge pieces of black, shiny, and crispy looking stuff come out of flue with non-EPA stoves.

And +2 to Pagey . . . burning properly + well seasoned wood = should not need this product

How about burning properly with unseasoned wood (if there is such a thing) because you have no other choice?

Pagey said:
If you are regularly burning wet wood, then it may very well be in your best interest to use such a product. It should make your cleanings easier and more productive. Just remember that there is no substitute for: 1.) regular inspections of the flue during the burning season and 2.) regular, manual cleanings of the flue during burning season.

And +3 to Pagey . . . definitely make sure you keep inspecting and cleaning your chimney regularly this season.

k3c4forlife said:
How about burning properly with unseasoned wood (if there is such a thing) because you have no other choice?

We've all been there . . . I lucked out and ended up with semi-seasoned wood.

About the best advice I can offer (other than the usual, only burn seasoned wood) which would actually be useful is to invest in a flue thermometer and stove top thermometer . . . these will help you run your stove at proper temps which can help.

Also, if at all possible find a source of cheap (or free) pallets or dimensional lumber cast offs . . . you can use this wood to basically speed season the semi-seasoned wood. It's definitely a pain in the butt cutting and using this wood and you can't just stuff a firebox full of this, but what you can do is use this wood to get the fire going and use some of this wood in addition to the semi-seasoned wood . . . it will help dry out the wood. Definitely not as effective burning semi-seasoned wood -- less BTUs, more heat going up the chimney instead of in the house since you typically have to have more air in the firebox and you have to keep an eye on the chimney . . . not the best situation, but you've got to do what you've got to do to get by . . .

And by all means . . . if possible, start cutting and stacking your wood for next year now.

k3c4forlife said:
Last night I was in Home Depot with the wife looking for Christmas lights and my body got pulled towards chainsaw / wood stove corner. They are selling Rutland creosote-to-ash toss-in sticks for $1.80 each. It says use 2 the first week and 2 the second week and then one a week after that. You just throw the little capsule into the fire and it supposedly turns your creosote build up into ash. Do these things work?

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(151sppyqqksrx555bytqqm55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4252466

Thanks
Kevin

Funny . . . I'm the same way . . . no matter what hardware store I'm in . . . I tend to gravitate towards the woodstove/cutting section . . . just to see if they have some product I must have in order to continue to burn safely and efficiently. ;)

What do you think about the creosote removers Jake? I am loaded for next year... Thanks for the help.

Kevin

k3c4forlife said:
What do you think about the creosote removers Jake? I am loaded for next year... Thanks for the help.

Kevin

The same as Pagey . . . not really necessarily for most folks if they're burning well seasoned wood and burning "in the zone" (that would be the correct temperature zone) . . . and there really is no replacement for brushing a chimney.

Last year I had less than ideal wood -- some seasoned OK, some just semi-seasoned . . . I swept the chimney monthly and had no problems. That said, the price is right and it can't really hurt things.

firefighterjake said:
k3c4forlife said:

Kevin

The same as Pagey . . . not really necessarily for most folks if they're burning well seasoned wood and burning "in the zone" (that would be the correct temperature zone) . . . and there really is no replacement for brushing a chimney.

Last year I had less than ideal wood -- some seasoned OK, some just semi-seasoned . . . I swept the chimney monthly and had no problems. That said, the price is right and it can't really hurt things.
Jake, I am curious, you said you swept your chimney monthly. You let the fire go out completely cold? or do you brave a little heat coming up the chimney? I always want to check and maybe sweep it, but hate to let it go out when it is cold.

tfdchief said:
firefighterjake said:
k3c4forlife said:

Kevin

Jake, I am curious, you said you swept your chimney monthly. You let the fire go out completely cold? or do you brave a little heat coming up the chimney? I always want to check and maybe sweep it, but hate to let it go out when it is cold.

It's pretty rare that the fire is completely cold in the winter . . . usually I'll sweep it when the fire has died down to low coals . . . oftentimes in the morning before I get the fire going again . . . the Class A is pretty cool at that point.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Better yet pick up a 2 lb tub of Rutland Creosote Remover for about $10. It's a much better value. I get mine at Tractor Supply Company.

Just go to you Hardware store and buy some TSP cleaner. If you look, that is whats in the Chimney cleaners. You can get 2 lbs for under $2.00 and it is the real stuff.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.