Rutland fire starters - ok to use in new EPA insert??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Recently picked up some Rutland fire starters on sale at HD. It says on the box that their safe for wood stoves. I cant see why they wouldnt be. Theyre small (2"x2") and fire up well. I find them soooooo much better than newspaper. Man, I hate crumpling up newspaper. Seeing how we're so close to 24/7 time now ,anyway, I guess it doesnt matter much. But I just wanted to make sure nobody has had any BAD experiences with them.

They should be fine. Have you tried any Super Cedars? Those are very popular with folks on this forum.

I have been using the Seymour starters which seem about the same as the Rutland. No issues yet.

I havnt been able to find any up my way,Dennis. Lord knows,I've looked. There is not much in the stores around here when it comes to wood-heat (compared to,like, say N.H. , or Mass.), and I couldnt see myself spending all that $$ on Fatwood just to start a fire that I could start for free.

I just bought a case of 12 boxes of Seymour starters. They were hard to find anywhere.

I use fire starters (Duraflame). I break up the block into about eight peices and place one piece and a pine cone against that little chunk. That, plus some kindling works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.