Rutland Therm. inside?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
I may have a stupid question .I just bought a magnetclic Rutland stove top thermometer for my insert .I also have an IR gun I bought last year .It is difficult to get the temp reading on my insert and the IR is good but takes a lot of time to get the temperature. I bought the stove top thermo to slide in on the top but it doesn't fit . Now to my question .

Can I put the Rutland stove top thermometer inside the wood stove? It has a max temp of 800 degrees and on the left side I'd my insert, right where the door opens is a steel wall where there are no firebricks. I would put it there .It would not be in direct contact of the flames and I took the temp and is only 30 degrees different from the stove top so I figured it would be a good place to put it.

Would it melt? Affect the cat? I will never hit the top 800 degrees the thermometer has a temperature of . Just curious thanks for the responses!

Probably worst that could happen is you'd be out the cost of the thermometer. Perhaps the better question is, what will that reading inside the stove really tell you, as far as how to run the stove? I would think in that placement you could max it out and still not be overfiring the stove. And as far as it telling you much about the cat, if you have a cat stove is there anyway to get a cat probe in there? Some stoves have cat probe holes, but for an insert I suppose you'd need something with remote display.

Probably worst that could happen is you'd be out the cost of the thermometer. Perhaps the better question is, what will that reading inside the stove really tell you, as far as how to run the stove? I would think in that placement you could max it out and still not be overfiring the stove. And as far as it telling you much about the cat, if you have a cat stove is there anyway to get a cat probe in there? Some stoves have cat probe holes, but for an insert I suppose you'd need something with remote display.
Thank you for your response. The reading where I would put it is reading only 30 degrees the last and what the stove top temperature is. I think if I put it in that spot I'll be an accurate reading of what the stove top temperature is just by looking at it instead of measure it with the IR gun. There is the option of getting a cat probe but the cost for upwards of $600 for the dealer to install it. I don't think that's an option. I'm not trying to measure the temperature of the cat just the stove top temperature.

There is the option of getting a cat probe but the cost for upwards of $600 for the dealer to install it.

Yikes!

I guess my point was, it may ultimately be helpful to have the temp inside of the stove, but you will really have only your own experience to judge that since you won't be able to compare it to the standard stove top readings of others. Yes, you took the temp and is only 30 degrees different from the stove top, but how many times have you done that, at how many stages of the burn cycle? I would probably want quite a few comparison readings over a variety of burn cycles to establish for sure that the temps are consistently that close. But I can't see any harm in trying.

Yikes!

I guess my point was, it may ultimately be helpful to have the temp inside of the stove, but you will really have only your own experience to judge that since you won't be able to compare it to the standard stove top readings of others. Yes, you took the temp and is only 30 degrees different from the stove top, but how many times have you done that, at how many stages of the burn cycle? I would probably want quite a few comparison readings over a variety of burn cycles to establish for sure that the temps are consistently that close. But I can't see any harm in trying.
Yeah I measured a couple times and it wouldn't hurt to do some more measurements. Thanks for the response I was wondering if it would hurt it and it seems like it can't hurt at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.