Rutland Thermometer Proper Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I started off, with the Rutland Thermometer on the top of the stove, .......

Then someone said I'd get a more accurate read if I would locate it on the flange over the face of the stove.

Do you think my stove temp reads would be better on the top or the flange (I noted that the temps shown when the thermometer was on the top of the stove, were about 100º less, than they are where it is now. Picture of "where it is now," attached. Not exactly however, since I currently have it in the MIDDLE of the flange.

I'm just interested in the most accurate representation of what is going on inside my firebox, as possible. (thus the reason for having bought the laser thermometer......to compare sides, to top, to stove face).

Which location is likely to be more true?

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Wood Stove.jpg
    Wood Stove.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 243
In my opinion, temps being printed on thermometers and being directly correlative to what is happening inside of every stove is laughable since there are so many variables and so many possible locations.

My suggestion. Put the thing in a spot you like. Use some common sense when burning and watch what the fire does and compare that to the thermometer. Basically, find out what feels comfortable with your stove and see how that registers on the thermometer, then just use that as your own personal guideline for the future.

pen

I'd move it over to dead center on the flange. The firebox is often a bit cooler on the sides of the fire.

I sent an e-mail to Travis Industries who made the stove...........I'll let you know what THEY think.

BeGreen, Yep, it currently IS in the center of the flange...........

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.