Ruud Indirect WH - any experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
I have an opportunity to get a used Ruud unit that apparently is an indirect with electric backup. It was used in a passive solar system. Here are the details:

Ruddglas Pacemaker

SN- RU 1101C07185

Mod # - RSTCR-80-1

Wattage – 240/208 Volts AC

80 Gallon Tank

Upper/Lower 4500/3380

This is all I know about it at the moment. I was planning on waiting until next year to get rid of my coil-in-furnace DHW, but I might get this now and do the changeover this year.

Does anyone have any feedback on these units? I do not know yet how old it is. It has been sitting unused in a basement for a few years since it was taken out of service.

I can get it for a case of beer (or equivalent).

I think it's just a water heater less any heat exchanger. As long as it holds water, you should be OK. You could use the existing tankless heater with a bronze circulator and turn it into an indirect heater of sorts.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.