Ryobi 18v cordless chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard good things about'em. Certianly not something to go felling big, 300 year old oaks with, but it sounds like something I could use, too. I already have an 18v drill and flashlight, so just borrow a battery from that to whittle something that won't quite fit in the firebox. I'm fixing to get one...............

I have one. It's fairly gutless, good for 2 or 3 cuts of 6" wood before changing battery and gotta be very patient cutting, but it's (sometimes) better than a bowsaw.

I'm sure it will work better w/ a new chain. I got the saw used, and only bought it 'cuz: (1) I already have other Ryobi 18 v. tools; and (2) it was $10 off C/L. I know I have to learn the sharpen the chain myself, but for about another $10 I can get a new chain so why not?

I wouldn't pay the original price for it (I think they sold for $75 when not "on sale" - as far as I know Home Dope is not offering them anymore). But if you can find one cheap and already have other Ryobi tools (and batteries), it might be worth it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have one that needs a chain. Do you know the size and length ?

Brian VT said:
I have one that needs a chain. Do you know the size and length ?

It's a 10" chain. This place

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ry...8_8090.html?osCsid=8pv0d1pe1erq56bfqi213se0k3

lists them @ about nine bucks, but I'd just go to home dope for instant gratification and to save shipping cost. I think the one's @ home dope or OSH are labeled specific to the tool, so it's easy to get the right one.

Peace,
- Sequoia

p.s. I prefer to go to independent hardware stores, but they don't usually carry these. Don't know about real chainsaw dealers (mow & blow / tree trimmer suppliers in these parts) but somehow, I doubt it.

I am amazed at home may people on this site do not sharpen their own chains. If I were to take 10 minutes and show my 5 year old how to do it he would be profficient enough..Come on guys!!!!!!

Tell ya' what Adirondack - I'll get me the new chain AND a sharpening file ... then I'll be able to compare the old chain, w/ my attempts at sharpening, to the new one and see if I can do better than a half-arse job.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I have one that I use occasionally for pruning trees. Battery mgt is key here, and you should have two (or three) fully charged batteries on deck if you want to get any work done. The newer Ryobi lithium ion batteries may work better/longer.
Keep the chain sharp and it will cut pretty good, but I found that 6" or so is the upper limit of the saw. I've pruned 80 (or so) 1-4" pine limbs in one outing with the 3 batteries and on another occasion I limbed and bucked a 7" DBH cedar (also using 3 fully charged batteries). The cedar had blown over so I didn't have to notch and back cut it.
So...for pruning and light duty the saw is OK, but don't plan on churning out any real volume with it.
Also, the chain moves very slow compared to a gas or electric saw, so don't be lullled into thinking it's not a "real" saw. This thing CAN hurt you if you're not careful.

All that being said...I have an extra one of these saws NIB just sitting in my shed due to a shipping mistake by the (un-named) big box store that I ordered from.
It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Take care,
joel

Gunks said:
Has anyone used a Ryobi 18v cordless chainsaw? Is it any good to cut 6" - 10" wood?

I have one also, while it is not a gas chainsaw it does good work on the small stuff. It is no powerhouse for sure but if your needing to cut some kindling it is perfect and odn't forget to pump the oil every so often. I got it new free with the purchase of a small kit. I like it for what it is.

I have a little Remington corded electric chain saw...think it's ~8". Does a fine job of limbing/lopping when having a cord isn't a problem. I have a DeWalt 18v. cordless sawzall which comes in pretty handy in some situations, but as others have noted "battery management" is the key with these tools. I also have a cordless drill/driver and a little circular saw that take the same batteries, so I always have one or two charged up and ready to go. I think I'll pass on the cordless chainsaw and just use my little 33cc Poulan I put a 12" bar and semi-chisel chain on. Very handy for everything up to about 14", actually. Rick

woodsman23 said:
...and odn't forget to pump the oil every so often.
...and don't forget to open the cap when you're done to relive the pressure so the oil doesn't ooze out while it sits.

TreePapa, seriously, there is nothing to it. Buy yourself the Husquvarna filing kit. Comes with a guide that basically takes all skill out of it.
Truthfully, once you get profficient at it, you will be actually sharpening your brand new chain before you even use it

So that's how you solve that problem!! I get some ooze after the saw sits a while. Never thought to loosen the cap and relieve the pressure. Dohhhh!

Brian VT said:
woodsman23 said:
...and odn't forget to pump the oil every so often.
...and don't forget to open the cap when you're done to relive the pressure so the oil doesn't ooze out while it sits.

Went to Homo Depot yesterday- turns out the rep from Ryobi was there and when I interrogated'em he said that they'll be bringing them back in February. For some reason there was a hiatus with this thing. I don't know what to believe but I'm almost ready to get it online. Oh well...............

Status
Not open for further replies.