Ryobi breaker/reset button

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crooked beat

May 19, 2008
Ontario
I have used my ryobi for just over 2 years. I used it last in May 2007. I took it out of storage today, checked the oil (type 22) and it was fine. Split 4 logs, piston returned to starting spot. Now when I press the green button, before I even press the lever, the reset/breaker button kicks in and stops the motor.

Any thoughts why this may have occurred? I have used it a total of 40 hours.

Thanks

Sounds like a dead short to me. Time to take it apart and start with your meter. I don't know if there is a wiring diagram available for that machine, but if there is, you may consider getting it. It should be fairly straight forward to find the problem.

Jags said:
Sounds like a dead short to me. Time to take it apart and start with your meter. I don't know if there is a wiring diagram available for that machine, but if there is, you may consider getting it. It should be fairly straight forward to find the problem.

Thanks - I was thinking along those lines.

Found this repair manual:

oneworld1.inetu.net/manuals/index.php?dir=ryobi/ryobioutdoor/&file=RY49701_588_r.pdf

I will tinker with it this week.

Here is an update:

I did this repair a few months ago. $20. It was a blown capacitor. I just found the photos. You can see the old one and the new one.

Very easy to replace. The Ryobi parts dealer told me that almost all electric splitters are made by one manufacturer in China. He showed me a few "no name" or store splitters at his store and all had the same basic parts as Ryobi.

Attached are some photos:

Attachments

• IMG_2342.jpg
    IMG_2342.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 867
Just a thought I want to throw out without reading through...you could have a bad breaker, it happens, just try it from another plug.

Crooked - thats what I'm talking about. Good job on the repair. It is a fact that the largest majority of the time, when a capacitor fails, it shorts (the opposite of a resistor, they "open").

Now yer ready to get to split'in.

Status
Not open for further replies.