Ryobi weed wacker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RORY12553

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2011
Southern NY
2 years ago bought a ryobi weed wacker from home dept. WHAT A MISTAKE! thing has been nothing but trouble. Issue now is that the muffler has become detached due to the two screws that hold it in place snapping. Brought it over to home depot and they say it will take 6-8 weeks to get it back and there is possible a charge.

Question is can i run it without the muffler? It runs but is very loud. Guy at home depot said after a while it will not work. So i figure run it until it dies and then buy a new one of a higher quality.

2 strokes need back pressure to make power. It may run but won't run well.

Reactions: TreePointer
I'm surprised HD didn't tell you to go directly to Ryobi after two years. Most big box stores tell folks to address warranty/repair issues directly with the manufacturer after a 30-90 days. The good thing about doing this is that manufacturers often will send out a new machine or part at no charge to the consumer.

I'm surprised HD didn't tell you to go directly to Ryobi after two years. Most big box stores tell folks to address warranty/repair issues directly with the manufacturer after a 30-90 days. The good thing about doing this is that manufacturers often will send out a new machine or part at no charge to the consumer.

Maybe I will call them directly!

2 years ago bought a ryobi weed wacker from home dept. WHAT A MISTAKE! thing has been nothing but trouble. Issue now is that the muffler has become detached due to the two screws that hold it in place snapping. Brought it over to home depot and they say it will take 6-8 weeks to get it back and there is possible a charge.

Question is can i run it without the muffler? It runs but is very loud. Guy at home depot said after a while it will not work. So i figure run it until it dies and then buy a new one of a higher quality.

Rory:

If you give up on the Ryobi and decide to get rid of it, I suggest that you consider the Stihl FS130 R. I have used mine for years in maintaining 5 acres of wooded property. The Stihl starts on the first or second pull. And I've given it a beating - but it keeps on ticking. This model accepts a blade that can be used to cut down saplings. I use the blade to trim raspberries back down to the ground each year. The polycut blades will handle most any weeds; the unit also accepts the string cutter.

The Stihl isn't cheap, but you'll have years of trouble free service.

Good luck with your weed whacker...

Is it a 2 stroke? My Ryobi POS from HD is 4-Stroke. It has been OK so far, tons of torque, but my Dad had one quit running so he bought another so he could use the pole saw and mini tiller that went with it. Now the 2nd one quit too. I think he found another brand that worked with his extras now.

Stihl units are 2 stroke. I recommend an FS 90R. Its the smallest solid shaft trimmer Stihl sells and will probably be way more trimmer than you will ever need. IMO a 130 is overkill for a homeowner. Give the ryobi away, along with the headaches it brings.

Stihl units are 2 stroke. I recommend an FS 90R. Its the smallest solid shaft trimmer Stihl sells and will probably be way more trimmer than you will ever need. IMO a 130 is overkill for a homeowner. Give the ryobi away, along with the headaches it brings.

???
I have a KM-90R (same engine as FS-90R) and FS-130 with Stihl 4-Mix engines. They are 4-stroke engines that lubricate with 2-cycle fuel mix.

http://www.stihl.com/4-mix-engine-lightweight-and-with-good-lugging-power.aspx

For weed whackers I would look at Echo. The borg carries them but I bought mine from a dealer. If you do buy from Home Depot get a straight shaft model, I believe they are a little more heavy duty.

I have had my ryobi weed whacker 10 years , no problems

I had one of the original 4 stroke Ryobi weedeaters. It started breaking down after the first season. And it vibrated alot. I love my Stihl that replaced it.

As far as the Ryobi is concerned, scrap it.

For a replacement, it depends on what you want it to do. Solid shafts and big four mix engines are over kill if you just need to keep the edges trimmed. Echo is the best offering from the box stores and Stihl, Husky, and Redmax offer up excellent units as well.

Post with your intended usage and we can make an appropriate recommendation for the replacement.

Mine isn't. 4 mix. 4 stroke but uses mixed gas. It's the 130 Kombi. No idea what the size is compaired to others, could almost use a bit more power, but then again I do use a 460 saw for limbing too. ==c

Mine isn't. 4 mix. 4 stroke but uses mixed gas. It's the 130 Kombi. No idea what the size is compaired to others, could almost use a bit more power, but then again I do use a 460 saw for limbing too. ==c
The FS/KM 130 is a big boy trimmer for sure. Bigger than that is the FS250 and then you're off into "Clearing Saws".

As far as the Ryobi is concerned, scrap it.

For a replacement, it depends on what you want it to do. Solid shafts and big four mix engines are over kill if you just need to keep the edges trimmed. Echo is the best offering from the box stores and Stihl, Husky, and Redmax offer up excellent units as well.

Post with your intended usage and we can make an appropriate recommendation for the replacement.

My intended use is once a week for trimming the edges of the lawn along with a hill that I can't use the mower on. I am going to use the ryobi until it dies and then probably look at a stihl. I don't want something that is to much for the usage yet I don't want something that will break on me like the POS ryobi.

My intended use is once a week for trimming the edges of the lawn along with a hill that I can't use the mower on. I am going to use the ryobi until it dies and then probably look at a stihl. I don't want something that is to much for the usage yet I don't want something that will break on me like the POS ryobi.

Look at the FS55 or FS56. Reasonably priced ($200-250) straight-shaft units that hold up well. The golf course I work on used to use Ryobi's (or whatever was on sale at HD that spring, ;lol) and we would attempt to get a full season out of them. Never worked. We were constantly working on them. They finally bought 3 FS55R's (Stihl) and those units have wrapped up season #4 with us without any problems other than we wear out the string heads!

Sounds like you need to extract two broken bolts and replace them. No big deal. never invest money into it. tons of them in the dump. new and old.

Guys i appreciate it and will most likely be going with a stihl. I have heard nothing but good things about them and for the price of the FS55 or FS56 i can't really go wrong. Bought the Ryobi for $130 plus needed a new attachment last year that cost me $50 so i'm into it for $180. Overall should have done more research and spent another $100 in the beginning. Lesson well learned!

Sounds like you need to extract two broken bolts and replace them. No big deal. never invest money into it. tons of them in the dump. new and old.
X2

it will probably eventually seize up running no exhaust

I told the guys at the saw shop I wanted the biggest power broom they carried and that was the 130. I guess they lied, I didn't know about the 250!

I can't stand not having enough power. The 130 is "just" barely enough. It will bog at times if I get into thicker stuff.

The FS/KM 130 is a big boy trimmer for sure. Bigger than that is the FS250 and then you're off into "Clearing Saws".

As far as running with no exhaust, it will be loud as crap but it should be ok. My friend had a trimmer that lost the exhaust, ran that way for years, probably still is running.

As far as running with no exhaust, it will be loud as crap but it should be ok. My friend had a trimmer that lost the exhaust, ran that way for years, probably still is running.

But your friend lost power without the muffler. In these engines, the exhaust acts to restrict the free flow of air out of the engine cylinder. This restriction is important because it creates back pressure that is needed to complete the cycling of the piston under design specifications. Reduction of noise, spark arresting, and catalytic conversion in mufflers are of secondary importance.

Oh I'm sure but it was a dumpster collected weedeater and as long as it fired up that was good enough for him.

But your friend lost power without the muffler. In these engines, the exhaust acts to restrict the free flow of air out of the engine cylinder. This restriction is important because it creates back pressure that is needed to complete the cycling of the piston under design specifications. Reduction of noise, spark arresting, and catalytic conversion in mufflers are of secondary importance.

Reactions: TreePointer
My Ryobi like yours also lasted about 2 years. Observing a neighbor's experience (who had once owned a lawn service operation), I switched to a Black & Decker 12 volt battery powered weed whacker. What a good decision. Highly recommended.

I got my Redmax TR2350s barely used on CL for $100. They sell for $225-275 new. It is the best string trimmer I have owned, including several Stihls and Echos, as well as several battery and electric ones. The problem with all the Stihl trimmers is the vibration. Look online at the reviews, the Stihls all come in lower for that reason. The Redmax starts, runs and trims with ease. I am a StihlHead, but not when it comes to trimmers.

I told the guys at the saw shop I wanted the biggest power broom they carried and that was the 130. I guess they lied, I didn't know about the 250!

WTH are you pushing with that thing? I've run a KM130 with the KW power broom (paddles) and it's a monster! My Dad's FS110 pushes 3" river stone back into his driveway....

I don't think the FS250 is rated to take the KW attachment but I also don't know that it won't fit. FS250's don't pop up here everyday so I don't recall if it's the same shaft/tube diameter as the smaller units.

Status
Not open for further replies.