Sad news about our troops...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearth Mistress

Minister of Fire
I'm watching the news now and this is disturbing. Evidently, a report from the DOD states there were more deaths of our soldiers by suicide, 177 total, than there were from actual combat. I know there are folks on here personally involved with local homecomings of our troops and ohers that have loved ones still serving. We need to be there for them to be sure these folks get the help they need to prevent these awful tragedies. It breaks my heart to hear that these soldiers, that go through usually more than one tour of duty in active combat - and live - have their spirit broken to the point they feel the only way out it to take their lives. It is just sad, really, really sad.

Here is a link I found on line but I'm sure there are other news articles about it: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-suicides-outpaced-combat-deaths-in-2012?lite

I talked to a local guy here who elected no to reup last year. He said after 22 years, and 5 deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, he had enough. He has one divorce, said he didn't want another. Spending 5 years in those places would be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.