Safe 24/7 stove pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my other thread was derailed, let me try again (with a different topic now).

Thinking about a basement install. What is on the market for stoves that can:

1.) Run unattended for long stretches
2.) Wife does not even have to think about
3.) Can go a few days without having to dump ashes

I know pellets can hang up in any stove, but I am looking for something to reliably heat my basement area. The Englander stuff seems to require shutdown every 24hr or so for cleaning of the burnpot and dumping of ashes. Harman seems to be on the other end with the huge ash drop. Anything in the middle?

I'd like something that I can let go for a few days (even if I have to refill the pellet hopper... not a concern there) without having to shut down and de-ash. Does that make sense? Thanks

Reactions: wildwildwest
Since my other thread was derailed, let me try again (with a different topic now).

I know pellets can hang up in any stove, but I am looking for something to reliably heat my basement area. The Englander stuff seems to require shutdown every 24hr or so for cleaning of the burnpot and dumping of ashes. Harman seems to be on the other end with the huge ash drop. Anything in the middle?

I'd like something that I can let go for a few days (even if I have to refill the pellet hopper... not a concern there) without having to shut down and de-ash. Does that make sense? Thanks

Harman P-series with a hopper extension should give you a few days of burning without refilling. You don't need to shut down the stove to refill. The harman stoves also allow you to scrape the burn pot without shutting it down, giving you long stretches in between regular cleaning.

As far as frequency of ash removal, it all depends on pellet quality but I would say you should only have to do this weekly. This is when you would do your full cleaning since it usually involves a shut down and cool off period.

I'm a new Harman owner but I've done the same research but someone who actually has gone through multiple burning seasons can correct me or give you other suggestions.

Good luck.

Jeremy

If you want to achieve all three of your goals above....suck it up and buy a Harman.

Well by that logic, everyone should also own Mercedes SUVs (or some other product of the kin). I realize where Harmans fall in this range. They cant be the only game in town though.
I don't have that logic at all.....I answered your question based on the parameters given. If you want a stove that will give you nearly trouble free operation for long periods of time that the bride won't have to touch, doesn't need the burn pot scraped everyday and can go at least two weeks without dumping the ash bucket, then a P series Harman fits the bill. I'm not the only one that has given you this advice (between the two threads). It may not be what you wanted to hear but as the owner of multiple Harmans...that's my advice....

I am not anti-Harman. In fact, they seem to be the premium manufacturer of these style products. I value that tremendously, as my business is the premium manufacturer of our style products. I know there are other companies out there though. They arent all low end Chinese imports, nor are they big box econo-units.

I own a P-43 with Hopper extension. Only issue will be running out of pellets. On a LOW setting, I think I can go 48 hours. Ive never tried a distance burn. Ive run 24 hours without issue, and that was always my goal without running out of fuel.

My biggest concern is continual heat and ash. The reloading is not that big of a deal. I want something that I can just let run and not have my wife think a second about. Check it when I get home, and reload as necessary. You know?

My biggest concern is continual heat and ash. The reloading is not that big of a deal. I want something that I can just let run and not have my wife think a second about. Check it when I get home, and reload as necessary. You know?

The other unit I researched was the Enviro Maxx-M which has a big hopper and since it's multi fuel has an agitator which keeps the burn pot clean over extended periods of time. It's also a good name, and a bit cheaper than the Harman. For me it was a toss up between these two manufacturers.

Be interesting to see how the new Englander 25-IP stacks up with the requirements. 80 pound hopper and large ash pan.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-Imperial-2-200-sq-ft-Pellet-Stove-25-IPS/203715820

25-ip_round__product.jpg

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Wow. Even have a few parts listed with the stove.

HD has been selling the parts for three years.

Every pellet stove should be able to run unattended with no maintenance for days at a time. Doe this mean that there are some that don't!?

My old FrankenWhitfields get their ashes dumped weekly and the leaf lower treatment every ton, That's all.

In the winter, I run them 24/7 without a thought.

Dave

Last edited:
Pretty much every stove for sale today will do as you require, with filling the hopper being the limiting factor to run-time. Those that have burn pot scraping issues i think tend to have air issues or poor pellet quality issues.

I can get hockey pucks in a day with junk.
Or, I can run 2 weeks straight without a spec of leftovers when i buy some good fuel.

Other than pouring in a bag or so a day I don't touch my stove any day but sunday when she gets a vacuum clean out.

even my cheapo imported stove has gone seven days without opening the door with good pellets running in it!

Reactions: jtakeman
Well by that logic, everyone should also own Mercedes SUVs (or some other product of the kin). I realize where Harmans fall in this range. They cant be the only game in town though.

You asked a question and got an answer, and good one. There is a lawyer's saying that if you don't want the answer to a question, don't ask it. He was kind enough to steer you in the right direction rather than tell you to search the forum as there are dozens of posts on this subject.

There is a lawyer's saying that if you don't want the answer to a question, don't ask it.

Actually the lawyer's saying is don't ask a question at trial if you don't already know the answer.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
;lol;lol;lol

In my brief stint in law school yours was stated as "Don't ever ask a Southern grandma a question if you aren't prepared for the answer.".

Last edited:
I don't have that logic at all.....I answered your question based on the parameters given. If you want a stove that will give you nearly trouble free operation for long periods of time that the bride won't have to touch, doesn't need the burn pot scraped everyday and can go at least two weeks without dumping the ash bucket, then a P series Harman fits the bill. I'm not the only one that has given you this advice (between the two threads). It may not be what you wanted to hear but as the owner of multiple Harmans...that's my advice....

+1 Harman fill the bill to a T.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.