Safe and Durable 30NC Fiberboard Alternatives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ToneDeafAudioRookie

Nov 28, 2020
USA
Greetings!

I have an Englander wood stove which uses the 30/50 Series AC-30CFB Fiber Board. These boards rest above the air tubes at the top, inside the wood stove. The problem is these Fiber Boards break too easily and don't last very long. The first year I had the wood stove, I'd occasionally tap the fiber board while loading the wood in the stove, and the slightest tap would cause the boards to crack and fall apart.

I had to purchase about 4 replacements last winter. At $100 per set (the boards are $50 each and 2 of them are required), that's about $400 just for these little fiber boards. After replacing these fiber boards the first couple of times, I started being extremely careful not to touch the fiber board while loading the wood stove. I've discovered that even if I never tap the fiber boards, they still eventually crack all over. The only explanation I can think of for this cracking is the high temperatures or the repeated heating and cooling.

This has become too expensive to maintain. I need a better solution. Does anyone know of any more durable alternatives to this fiber board? I considered getting a couple 1/4" solid cast-iron plates in there, but that would conduct heat instead of insulating it, which would make the wood stove less efficient. Surely I can't be the only person who is fed up with these cheap, fragile, fiber boards. Are there other options for insulating boards which are safe replacements for these fiber boards?

I'd be happy to spend more for a long term solution here.

Thanks in advance for your support.

The best way to extend the life of the boards is to not load the stove so full. Wood should not come closer to the tubes than an inch or two. Folks that have been careful to not hit the board with wood are seeing several years out of a set of boards. They stand up well to high heat, but not contact with wood or a poker.

The new nc30 has 4 of the boards! Other brands use c-cast which is supposed to be more durable.

Part of the problem is how thin the boards are. Mine have some wear but the weirdest thing is that they curled up like bananas so they walk around and I need to keep moving them back which will eventually break them.

I clicked on this thread because I too would prefer a better replacement when the time comes. Mine are about 7 years old. Don’t hit them and they won’t crack.

I'm honestly not hitting the boards anymore. They still crack. In fact, I have one board right now this is split down the board lengthwise, which obviously wouldn't make any sense whatsoever as a result of tapping it from the bottom. In other words, you can't see any sign of cracking if you look at it from the bottom or top. The crack is only visible along the thin edges on the far ends. I can take pictures if anyone wants to see it. The other board is cracked all over like old pavement in need of replacement. If I were to tap it anywhere, I'm sure it'd fall down in numerous pieces.

Maybe the problem is these particular fiber boards are too thin. Maybe they are a type of board that isn't as durable as alternatives. I see mention of a "Quadrafire Baffle Board" on one of the threads referenced above. Is there a version of this type of board that could replace my AC-30CFB fiber board? I also like the idea of buying 1" (or even thicker) stuff and cutting the dimensions I need from it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for different types of boards? Please link me whatever you recommend. I'll probably buy it if it looks reasonable.

I dont think theres an equal board replacement, the manual states not to load the stove past the brick level anyway, an idea just for testing sakes would be to make a stainless steel baffle and put an insulation blanket on top to maintain fire box temps.

Look at other brands for more durable baffle materials that can be cut to fit.