safe distance for woodshed/wood pile from house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
reading the most recent spider thread has me rethinking my idea to build a couple of woodsheds next to my house, immediately next to an exterior door. i read up on local spiders and see black widows, hobos, and yellow sac spiders.

i know i've seen plenty of woodshed pics you've all posted where it's connected directly to the house, so perhaps it's NBD. thoughts?

If you move your wood to your wood shed in the fall, then most spiders have already found some place else to overwinter, so there should be few if any in your wood shed wood pile. But to be extra sure, when you retrieve the wood from your shed, wear gloves. Knock two pieces together, then inspect for spiders, beetles, etc, before putting them into your tote bag. Any loose bark on dry wood, and thus a place for spiders to hide, should fall off. That should deal with the issue.

FWIIW, my "shed" is on the East part of the house, away from the wind and storms but also away from the front door (we only have one external south facing door with walk up access). But I like to keep a few days of wood on the porch in a staging area by the front door. So the wood takes five trips:

1) From delivery dump to drying pile.
2) From drying pile to dry winter storage (i.e. the wood shed).
3) From wood shed to staging stack by the front door.
4) From staging stack to wood bin by the stove (this wood is used in the stove that day... it does not sit long in the house).
5) From wood bin into the stove.

Given all those trips, few insects or arachnids make it into the house in or on the wood.

Last edited:
my goal with the shed next to the house is to split and stack and not move again until i take it inside the house to burn it. basically, minimize the # of moves the splits need to make. maybe optimistic thinking...

my goal with the shed next to the house is to split and stack and not move again until i take it inside the house to burn it. basically, minimize the # of moves the splits need to make. maybe optimistic thinking...

You actually have good thinking, which is ideal. Follow my first paragraph and you should be fine.

The "staging" area I have it not optimal or required. I just described my reality since I can not store a winter's worth of wood on the front porch. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.