Safe operating temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead

Jan 18, 2013
Williamson, GA
I have a Kozy Z42 and have always wondered where I should try to keep my temps. I read where a lot of others - esp with freesranders- cruise in the 600-700* range. I have an IR thermo and usually try to take a reading just above the doors since I cannot access the top. At 400* shes burning pretty good but not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples by not being able to read the top temp. I had a hot fire last night approaching 500* and I started getting a little nervous. Anyone got any info on the ZCs like I have?

I took a quick look through the manual and it does not answer your question. It should. I would call the mfg. and ask.

Generally, freestanders are built much heavier than ZC's so my guess is that 500 might be too high but that is only a guess. Don't own a ZC so can't say more than that.

Call them and ask. They may also recommend that the temp be monitored via the flue pipe in a specific location to be accurate. Installing a flue probe is a good idea.

I called them- they had no recommendations and said that they had no technical data to back anything up. His only advice was that it should be fine unless I burn a load of lumber scraps or trash or anything- not sure how I feel about their response.

It sounds like you are using good common sense. 500F probably is not too hot. It's normal to feel a bit nervous as you learn how to run the fireplace best. As long as nothing is glowing red, you are probably within the safety zone. Avoid construction scraps except for starting a fire and don't load it with lots of small (2-3") splits. Thicker wood will combust slower.

well that sure is a disappointing response to a very important question. An experience burner knows when a fire is too hot (or cold) so in time you will learn too. In the mean time as I suggested install a temp probe with a remote display in the flue as close to the fire box as you can to access the most reliable temperatures and begin there. This will teach you a lot about what species of woods and different levels of moisture content will give you what temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.