Safe temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ianb42

Nov 5, 2008
NJ
Hello all. I have this stove..

http://woodheatstoves.com/flame-xtd-15-epa-wood-stove-p-9519.html?cPath=293_123_309

The instruction manual says not to take the temperature above 475 with a magnetic thermometer. And not above 900 with a probe thermometer.

I have a magnetic one sitting ontop of my stove near where the flue pipe comes into it. I have double-wall insulated pipe from my stove to ceiling so I assume I would have to drill a hole to get an accurate reading if I were to attach the thermometer to the pipe correct?

Ok so my question is when should I worry about overfiring my stove going by the thermometer where it is now? 475 doesnt seem that hot and it gets there very fast. Thanks!

Does it mean to not take the STOVE TOP temp above 475 or the stove PIPE temp above 475? Most plate steel stoves don't reach over fire until about 800+F, so I'm guessing they mean the temp of the pipe. If you want to measure the interior temp of your flue gases, you'll need a probe type thermometer and a hole drilled into the double wall stove pipe. Otherwise, you're "stuck" using a magnetic thermometer on the outside of the stove pipe, and I have no clue as to how to translate that reading and make it "accurate" as to what's going on inside the flue.

Flue temp 900*F would read about 475*F w/ a magnetic thermometer on single wall pipe. You have double-wall, so that's obviously out of the question... I believe you can drill thru the double-wall for the probe - it's been covered here in the past (sorry I don't have a url to share)

You're measuring stovetop surface temp, however. That's an entirely different animal. Seems you oughta be able to push 550-600 there.

IMO you need both a stove top and a flue thermometer. There can be a great difference between the two. With a cold stove, dry wood and the air open all the way there can be 500* or 600* difference between the stove top and the flue temp. With the flue probe you will be able to know when to reduce the air to prevent the flue temp from exceeding the recommended 900*.

I have a thermocouple temp monitor for the flue and the stove top. When the flue temp hits 850* I close the air a bit to bring the flue temp down.

With the double wall pipe you will need to drill a hole to insert the probe thermometer.

Firebox size is 1.8 cu. ft. and btu output is 60,000 according to the web page. I don't see how you could put out that much heat with 475 on the stove top. So I have to say it probably means flue temperature. Even that isn't that hot, but you would only reach this on the initial burn after loading before cutting the draft back. So, I'd bet you can go much higher stove top temperature. How is it worded in the manual?

Place your magnetic thermometer half way between the front lip of the top plate of the stove and the flue collar. Keep it in the 600 to 650 range maximum and you will get a lot of heat and not overfire the stove.

This is how it is worded in the manual...

We strongly recommend that your purchase a chimney (flue) thermometer. Theres are two types of thermometers: probe thermometers and magnetic thermometers (the later is also called a "Stove-top" thermometer.) If you are using a probe thermometer, make sure that the temperature doest not exceed 900ºF. If you are using a magnetic themometer make sure that the temperature does not exceed 475ºF.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.