Safe to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strocket

Nov 12, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Hey guys,

New to the forum and I appreciate yalls help in advance. So heres my situation and question. I live in San Antonio, TX and our winters are what most would consider mild. We rarely hit the 30s, and when we do its only for a day or two. For the most part our "cold days" are usually taken care of by simply turning off the air conditioner. For those who want more the heaters usually take care of the problem. For most of us here our fireplaces are for decoration. I have lived in this house since it was built (28 years) and can honestly say that the fireplace hasn't even been used 28 times. Weve got a cold front coming and the temps are starting to drop. Ive looked up the chimney and to my surprise it is very clean. I have almost no build up. There is what seems to be a very little top coat of soot. No where near the 1/8" that most say is too much and requires cleaning. There are no critters residing in the chimney and absolutely no spider webs. With that being said should I be ok burning a log or two tonight?

Go for it. If it is Mesquite watch out for embers popping out on the carpet.

And send me a dozen breakfast tacos tomorrow.

BB - Displaced Native Texan.

I would say "certainly".......that's not creosote you describe. This is what a dangerous chimney insides looks like:
creosote-buildup.jpg

"BrotherBart" - Thank you!! Your fast response and friendly-ness are worth 2 Dozen Tacos!!!

"Webbie" - Wow!! That is nothing like mine!! I will take a pic tomorrow and post! Sorry, my Fatherly/Husbandly concern will probably cause a little laughter when you see what I thought was "unsafe"

Happy Hollidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.