1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Safe wall thimble & pipe advice needed

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by farmfitz, Sep 3, 2013.

1. farmfitz

farmfitz Member

Loc:
    Essex County, Massachusetts
    I need to connect the 6 inch flue from a Jotul Castine F400 through an outside wall and then directly into an exterior masonry chimney (2 inches from building exterior). This is the only appliance that will be vented through this chimney. The stove will sit about 10 inches from Durock cement board with zero-flame stone, -- all anchored into the wall studs using 1 inch porcelain spacers.

What do you suggest for a safe wall thimble and chimney connection (pipe)?
    I was thinking about the 6ITH by Industrial Chimney Company / Canada. Would that do it? And, what pipe should I run through it?

Thanks guys.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Will you be using the chimney with a stainless liner in it?
  3. farmfitz

farmfitz Member

Loc:
    No stainless liner needed. The chimney is clean and structurally sound. Just a thimble suggestion and maybe what kind of adapter I need to go from the thimble to the stove flue collar. It's going into an old uninsulated lakeside cottage from the 1930's,( just to take the chill off in the early spring and fall), so I want to be safe.---thanks.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Castine likes a strong draft. Sizing is important. What is the clay liner interior dimension of the chimney? How tall?
  5. farmfitz

farmfitz Member

Loc:
    8 x 8" clay liner, 5/8 thickness centered in 18" blocks. Chimney height is 17 ft from the ground (base) and about 11 ft, measured from the hole that will accept the thimble to the termination point. Thought about adding 3 more blocks to bring the chimney height up to a solid 14'. The stove flue exit is about 6 inches below the center of the thimble hole.

Here's the old stove, I am replacing...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The 6ITH is the correct thimble to use. By all means add as much block as you can. A rear vented Castine on a cold, short exterior chimney will be a balky starter. This is a shallow stove. With marginal draft expect some smoke spillage when opening the door, especially if the weather is mild.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's a Scandia Combifire clone. It is a lot less fussy about draft. If the only issue is with the flue exit height, maybe consider raising the stove on a platform of bricks? I think I would try that temporarily just to see how the Castine drafts, before making major thimble changes.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. farmfitz

farmfitz Member

Loc:
    I was thinking of adding some sort of a swivel-angle pipe to connect the Jotul to the thimble. Sound about right? Really appreciate the knowledge transfer here.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'm not a big fan of the adjustable elbows, but for a test setup it would be ok as long as it's black stove pipe and properly secured. If all is well then a straight, heavy gauge connector would be better.