Safely heating a garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I have a one car attached garage but there is no simple or inexpensive way to connect it to my existing forced air heating system-even if there was it would be a waste to dump heat into it all of the time. I bought one of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_1029783_1029783

At an estate sale recently, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to use in the garage. As you can see its marketed as a "garage" heater, but when you read the manual it states that the heater should not be used anywhere flammable liquids are used or are present. I typically store about 5 gallons of gasoline in the garage at any given time, but I could just as easily store it outside somewhere. That still leaves all of the OPE that sits in the garage (2 saws, lawn tractor, walk behind mower, generator, snow blower, leaf blower, etc...) which all have some degree of gasoline in the tanks. Also, the garage is my workshop-would it be unsafe to use a heater like this while say, cleaning a carburetor with solvent? The bottom line is I'd like to be able to work in my garage without freezing my butt off, but I don't want to blow up the house doing it. What to do?

Thats an open flame if your using it as a garage you will want an electric heater. If its insulated it will not take much.

Status
Not open for further replies.