Safest, least damaging way to clean a wood stove's glass ((Ash vs. Glass Cleaner))

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53flyer

Oct 21, 2009
Eastern WA
I've used the ash trick for about 3-4 yrs when cleaning my quad's glass but have begun to notice that the glass seems to have a "dull area" that never really comes completely clean and it seems to start developing a haze in that area before any other area of the stove (on the first burn after the cleaning and, yes, I'm burning hot). I'm concerned that the ash has possibly caused fine scratches to develop that are causing this problem but I'm not positive.

I've also used the liquid spray cleaner (Napoleon brand) a few times over the past 6 months and noticed a fairly strong ammonia smell which made me wonder if that's bad for the glass long term (even though it makes cleaning the glass a lot easier) and possibly causing the problem?

So what's the thought on which does less damage to the glass? Thanks

Well, I was told never use ammonia and that wet newspaper/ash was the best.

Shari

I used to use a razor blade. I probably have half a bottle of cleaner somewhere in the basement, but I haven't used it in years. The ash trick works well, as you know, but sometimes it leaves streaks.

Matt

I have only used a damp towel and water. seems I just have fine ash clinging to the glass. I heard using ash will scratch. Same dirt that can dull your saw. Just burnt in with the wood.

Been using the same bottle of dollar store glass cleaner and paper towels for ten years. The glass is clear as, well, glass on the 2006 stove and was on the 1985 one when I retired it.

Save yourself a lot of money and use something you probably have in your house already. Apple cider vinegar and paper towels! It removes everything! It is the safest thing you can use on your stove glass and it smells pretty good too. Of course, you only want to clean the glass it when it is cool to the touch. The stuff is amazing. You can use just about other type of vinegar you have. If you have a real thick build-up, you may have to let it soak for a while, but in my experience, it wipes clean in one swipe. Then again, if you have a thick build-up on your glass you are probably burning really wet wood and/or very low temperature.

Never thought of using apple cider vinegar. I sometimes use ceramic cook top cleaner. I figured if stove glass is also ceramic it would work well, and it really does. Cleans even the harder stuff in the corners.

Mad Tom said:
I have only used a damp towel and water. seems I just have fine ash clinging to the glass. I heard using ash will scratch. Same dirt that can dull your saw. Just burnt in with the wood.

Same here. On the rare occasions a piece of wood fell against the glass overnight and left a really dark spot, I carefully use a little ash if the plain water doesn't do the trick. After reading here, I'll try vinegar next time and see if that does just as well.

The commercial "cleaner" stuff, IMHO, is a rip-off. It's not necessary, doesn't work very well on those occasional dark spots, and requires extra work to rinse off.

Yep. Wet newspaper. 9 times out of 10. One time out of ten a little dab of ash.

We use a paper towel and bottled water in the morning when the stove is the coolest.

53flyer said:
I've used the ash trick for about 3-4 yrs when cleaning my quad's glass but have begun to notice that the glass seems to have a "dull area" that never really comes completely clean and it seems to start developing a haze in that area before any other area of the stove (on the first burn after the cleaning and, yes, I'm burning hot). I'm concerned that the ash has possibly caused fine scratches to develop that are causing this problem but I'm not positive.

I use a paper towel and distilled water and it always just wipes off. It is possible that you have a buildup from minerals in your water. The ashes may just be adding more minerals.

This is just speculation, of course.

I use the Mad Tom Method myself most of the time . . . damp cloth and a few swipes and the fly ash/haze is gone . . . sometimes I'll use a piece of newspaper to "dry" the glass if it isn't hot enough to do so on its own to avoid streaks. It's very rare now, but if there are some black areas I will use the damp cloth/newspaper and ash (the fine ash, no chunks) . . . but as I said, that's pretty rare to see these days.

If you have black stuff on the glass- burn it hot to turn that into a haze. Water on a paper towel takes that off without any problem. Ammonia may not be great, but human urine diluted 50:50 instead of water works great and seems to keep the glass clean longer for some reason.

Adios Pantalones said:
If you have black stuff on the glass- burn it hot to turn that into a haze. Water on a paper towel takes that off without any problem. Ammonia may not be great, but human urine diluted 50:50 instead of water works great and seems to keep the glass clean longer for some reason.

And again I'm still not sure, like every other time, if your'e being serious . . . or just taking advantage of today. Nah, no thanks . . . I'll continue to pee properly . . . outside on my car tire . . . and in that bush on the side of the garage . . . and out back near the propane tank . . . gotta mark my territory you know . . . can't be wasting pee on cleaning my woodstove glass. ;) :)

So far, we have just used a damp sponge then a paper towel for streaks. The dark stuff we have had a couple times after running low and slow to long, disappeared as soon as a full temperature fire was burning. I am hoping the inside of the flue worked the same..lol,

(I know it did, just checked today)

Mr Clean Magic Sponge eraser works well for me. They also work great for cleaning metal exterior doors, like kids dirty finger prints or the dogs dirty paw prints.

[quote author="53flyer" date="1270092038" I'm concerned that the ash has possibly caused fine scratches to develop that are causing this problem but I'm not positive.
Thanks[/quote]

I agree, i stopped using ash last yrfor the same concerns, I think i was starting to see a residual "haze" in the areas that i used the ash during my first yr of burning.

Now into my second full yr, with much better fuel, a damp paper towel has all that has been necessary. I have avoided using ash entirely this yr.

madison said:
[quote author="53flyer" date="1270092038" I'm concerned that the ash has possibly caused fine scratches to develop that are causing this problem but I'm not positive.
Thanks

I agree, i stopped using ash last yrfor the same concerns, I think i was starting to see a residual "haze" in the areas that i used the ash during my first yr of burning.

Now into my second full yr, with much better fuel, a damp paper towel has all that has been necessary. I have avoided using ash entirely this yr.[/quote]
+1 Better Fuel - Lower Moisture Content = No black soot on the glass.
If there is a lot of black soot on the glass, I'd be worried more about cleaning the chimney than the glass ;-)

Adios Pantalones said:
You're a serious killjoy. Gonna superglue your fingers to your "firepole" before I post this again :)

:) :) :)

Davesbehemothwoodcart said:
+1 Better Fuel - Lower Moisture Content = No black soot on the glass. If there is a lot of black soot on the glass, I'd be worried more about cleaning the chimney than the glass ;-)

In general I believe that's right (for non cat stoves like my quad). However, I think cat stoves will always have more black soot on the glass which doesn't correspond to soot in the chimney since the cat burns most of it up before getting into the chimney/liner. At least that's the way I understand it.

BrotherBart said:
Been using the same bottle of dollar store glass cleaner and paper towels for ten years. The glass is clear as, well, glass on the 2006 stove and was on the 1985 one when I retired it.
That must be one big bottle. lol

Adios Pantalones said:

LOL good thing that worked or you'd have to resort to human excrement! I advise you test using human excrement on the ceiling fan 1st to see if it will work.. :lol:

Ray

Adios Pantalones said:
Water on a paper towel takes that off without any problem. Ammonia but human urine diluted 50:50 instead of water works great and seems to keep the glass clean longer for some reason.

That is a great time saver as you can have your dog do that job. Plus it will give the house a lived in smell.
leaddog

woodsmaster said:
BrotherBart said:
That must be one big bottle. lol

I was thinking the same thing! :)

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.