Safest, least damaging way to clean a wood stove's glass ((Ash vs. Glass Cleaner))

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the great replies. I definitely need to use some elbow grease iot remove it and I'm amazed to read that it seems to wipe off so easily for some people.

For the people who refer to simply doing a wipe with water or cheap glass cleaner: Do you have to let it sit on the area for a little while to soften the area up or are you saying you simply moisten a newspaper or towel and it comes right off without much elbow grease? If it's the later, do you clean it every day? If you were to let it go a week or more are you still able to simply remove it with a wipe? If the answers are all yes then that's amazing and it makes me think that you seriously must have one of the best air wash stoves around right?

53flyer said:
Thanks for the great replies. I definitely need to use some elbow grease iot remove it and I'm amazed to read that it seems to wipe off so easily for some people.

For the people who refer to simply doing a wipe with water or cheap glass cleaner: Do you have to let it sit on the area for a little while to soften the area up or are you saying you simply moisten a newspaper or towel and it comes right off without much elbow grease? If it's the later, do you clean it every day? If you were to let it go a week or more are you still able to simply remove it with a wipe? If the answers are all yes then that's amazing and it makes me think that you seriously must have one of the best air wash stoves around right?

Easy swipe . . . which makes me wonder if you're either not getting your stove hot enough and it's sooting up the glass pretty bad, you're burning unseasoned wood, you have a gasket leak, your air wash is in fact not very good or a combination of the above.

I clean my glass every 3-7 days . . . a lot depends on how hot the stove is, how busy I am and if we have company coming and I want to dazzle them with the Oslo Light Show Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.