Safety gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
The missus is worried about me operating a chain saw, so to put her at ease I promised I would look in to a good pair of gloves to protect my hands, just in case. Are there any gloves out there that are good for saw use? I'm thinking maybe the type like a fisherman's filleting glove.

You've just opened up a new discussion wherein the entire subject of chainsaw PPE is fair game. Personally, I think there are parts of your body at significantly higher risk than your hands. Legs, feet, eyes, ears (hearing) come immediately to mind. I'm sure others have some opinions on the subject. If you really would like to please your "missus" (rather than just placate her so she'll get off your back for now), then do everything you can to keep yourself injury-free and alive for just as long you're able. I'd go so far as to say you owe her that (and much more) for agreeing to be your "missus". Rick

I have bought several pair made by both Husqvarna and Stihl. My current pair is a "Anti Vibe" pair made by Husqvarna.

I also have used "Mechanics" gloves (Auto Zone/Advance Auto/NAPA). No matter what brand you buy. Your gonna get what you pay for. Buy a $12 pair of gloves and thats all they are. A $35 pair will last much longer and also be more comfortable.

As for proper PPE.... Rick hit it dead on. I would worry more about other parts before my hands (although you still should get a pair). A pair of chaps, some good boots (read: steel toe or even metatarsal), and a helmet with face shield and hearing protection attached (if your felling trees).

When dealing with a saw, you can never be to careful. IMHO. Your always gonna get what you pay for. This statement is in a members Sig line : Good Chit ain't cheap. And cheap Chit aint good.

I just use either lightweight cut-proof snug fitting gloves that the contractor provides for my regular job or standard thick lined or unlined leather ones depending on time of year,weather conditions etc.Really like those cut proof ones w/ rubberized palm & fingers,they're especially nice when working in wet and/or muddy conditions.They can be very hot this time of year though.Much better grip too,long as my hands & feet stay dry,I'm happy no matter what the work situation may be.

I've tried dedicated chainsaw gloves that have some (not much) anti-vibration cushioning in the palm and cut protection on top. While they're pretty good, they don't have enough anti-vibration cushioning in the palm for me, so I use general purpose Stihl Anti-vibration gloves. I'm going to order some of those Green Hulk anti-vibration gloves for comparison, and I'll let you all know what I think. Ordering right now....

You've just opened up a new discussion wherein the entire subject of chainsaw PPE is fair game. Personally, I think there are parts of your body at significantly higher risk than your hands.
True, my personal protection is her (and my) main concern, not just the hands.
If you really would like to please your "missus" (rather than just placate her so she'll get off your back for now), then do everything you can to keep yourself injury-free and alive for just as long you're able.
I'm not given to extremes. I like to measure risk and its likelihood of occurrence (and the consequences of its occurrence) and then take a common sense approach to safety. I believe the key to good living is moderation.
I'd go so far as to say you owe her that (and much more) for agreeing to be your "missus". Rick
Has she been talking to you? !!!

...Has she been talking to you? !!!

;lol Not that I know of... :rolleyes:. But I do know what it's like to have a missus who agreed to be my life partner and was depending on me to be around for her for a long, long time. The plan was that we'd grow old together...that carries some hefty responsibilities. Sadly, in my case, my wife died of cancer at age 62. <> You have a solemn obligation to her to not bleed to death out in the woods. I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but just stay safe...for both your sakes. Rick

Yes, I've seen it...what's not to agree with?
It seems to me that you have a good grasp on the subject and I was just wondering if you thought it was on the mark and complete.

;lol Not that I know of... :rolleyes:. But I do know what it's like to have a missus who agreed to be my life partner and was depending on me to be around for her for a long, long time. The plan was that we'd grow old together...that carries some hefty responsibilities. Sadly, in my case, my wife died of cancer at age 62. <> You have a solemn obligation to her to not bleed to death out in the woods. I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but just stay safe...for both your sakes. Rick
Real sorry to hear. I can't imagine being in your shoes. Point well taken.

Realstone, everybody here is right on. If you don't already have boots, chaps, and a helmet then you should focus on aquiring those. In that order too. Any decent pair of work gloves is fine for chainsaw use IMO because unless the chain breaks and comes whipping around the saw (highly unlikely), your hands are at very little risk so long as they are planted on the handles where they belong.

If you already have all the above and were looking to get a pair of gloves, well then carry on!

Thanks MM. I already have all the above except chaps. I have experienced a chain flying off the bar and narrowly grazing my left hand, but that was from a 60's issue Homelite. It very quickly taught me the value of proper chain tension.

Real sorry to hear. I can't imagine being in your shoes. Point well taken.

Yeah, they're some tough shoes to be wearing. The point here, of course, is to do everything you can to avoid putting your missus into my shoes. Take care. Rick

For a different viewpoint, I don't wear gloves at all. Think they can cause more harm than good getting tangled up or when you lose the ability to feel well.

The only thing special that I do is ear and eye protection. I dress for work but no chaps or anything silly. Odds are better that I'll be killed on the drive to the woodlot.

I grew up and live in a logging town. I know and have known dozens of loggers and hundreds of firewood cutters. I've known a couple that were killed in the woods, some even directly saw related. I've known many who were injured in saw accidents. But in 37 years I have yet to see or even hear of a single example of someone injuring their own hand with a saw.

I I have yet to see or hear of a single example of someone injuring their own hand with a saw.

Not a running saw but I sliced open my finger while changing chains on the stihl. Caught a freshly sharpened tooth just right as I was trying to get the chain onto the drive sprocket. It bled but soon was blocked up by sawdust.

Not a running saw but I sliced open my finger while changing chains on the stihl. Caught a freshly sharpened tooth just right as I was trying to get the chain onto the drive sprocket. It bled but soon was blocked up by sawdust.

Same here. The only hand injury I've ever received was a small but annoying cut in a finger while sharpening a chain. Now, I wear a nice pair of pigskin gloves while sharpening.

For a different viewpoint, I don't wear gloves at all. Think they can cause more harm than good getting tangled up or when you lose the ability to feel well.

The only thing special that I do is ear and eye protection. I dress for work but no chaps or anything silly. Odds are better that I'll be killed on the drive to the woodlot.
I'm currently doing the same as you in the safety dept. But I might look into a pair of chaps. Any recommendations?

Thanks. The price is more reasonable than I expected. I'll probably order a pair if shipping to Canada is reasonable as well. If they cross border that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.