Safety Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warmerwithpellets

Nov 29, 2013
Rhode Island
I had a freestanding stove installed about a month ago and just noticed that I am getting black soot on the side of my home. Is this a safety issue? Your input is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20131205_153351.jpg
    20131205_153351.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 230
I had a freestanding stove installed about a month ago and just noticed that I am getting black soot on the side of my home. Is this a safety issue? Your input is much appreciated.

I had that problem as well. The dealer came back and installed a longer flue pipe that extends about 3' outside the house which cured it.

You should definitely contact the installer and they should remedy the situation. I wouldn't be happy with that on my house either!

if you have any snow or ice falling issues from your roof at that point, take that into consideration if and when the pipe is extended.
usually there is a little gap from the exact edge when stuff slides off. there is on mine anyway.

Last edited:
As for the soot being a safety issue no, but that venting should be changed a bit to stop it from landing on your siding.

That's a corner and I can't tell if the clearances are correct. Check your manual for clearance information.

I'm pretty new to the forum, but that install looks a little funny. I noticed that the soot is building up the opposite way that the termination cap is pointing making me think there is a crosswind that is blowing or pulling that exhaust right against the wall that juts out. I would probably contact dealer to come out and take a look and maybe make some adjustments. Maybe just add some length to the existing pipe.

I agree with Smokey on rechecking your clearances in your manual. The pipe seems pretty close to your exterior "wing" wall that is made of combustible materials. Snow drop, as mentioned above, is a consideration when modifications are made. We have a turbo cap at the end of our horizontal exhaust but I'm not sure if that would help in your installation. Did the dealer do the install?

The pics are very helpful but adding your stove type in your signature line helps other members make reasoned suggestions when troubleshooting (manufacturer set clearances in this instance).

Edit: Checked my manual for install clearances - horizontal measurement to combustible wall is 1 ' per my manufacturer. Yours may be different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.