Safety notice...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the same exact thing last year, I was reading a thread about stack temps, looked at the stove, saw the Rutland on top in cruise mode, thought I should just take it off the stove and mount it to the stack and get a good reading to compare to posts on this site, seemed legit, it takes about 3 weeks to fully heal.

When I worked in a restaurant in a former life, we had one cook who used to take metal pans out of the sally (salamander or broiler for the non-cooks) with his bare hands. I could tell when he was doing this because you'd suddenly smell burning flesh. Of course, he didn't feel a thing due to the very high alcohol content of his brain. He finally got fired, not for burning himself regularly, not for stealing booze every day, not because he wore high heels and a very tight red dress under his whites but because he would take a bite out of meat while cooking it, then put it back on the broiler and serve it. Hmmm - if you think all the horror stories you hear about restaurants is true, you'd be right.;sick

I've been messing around with a piece of soapstone that I placed on my stove but I had to move the thermo before replacing the cold stone onto the stove. I mean my friend had to move the thermo.

I had a similar situation, except I was using the gloved hand to move the thermometer while my stupid friend was using his bare hand to nudge the stone... apparently he forgot the stone had already been on the stove a while.

Sometimes I wonder about that guy.

I never approach a stove without both gloves on. Just know that someday I am gonna trip on the hearth and the reflex will be to put both hands out.

Yup, did a fair bit of restaurant work in my day to. I stood and watched a guy slip by the fryers...he put his arm out and put it up to the elbow into the fryer. He survived with only minor burns becuase he was soaking wet...and the water formed a enough of a barrier to protect his skin...so we figured. We all needed a change of underwear that day!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.