Said goodbye to the Leprechaun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unit40

Aug 17, 2007
Northern Massachusetts
Wasn't too sad about it, but I had to let the little Waterford go. It came with the house when I moved in. It was a beautiful blue stove with a fine glass door that always stayed clean. I cooked some dinners on it just for fun. But it would only take a 15 inch log. I had to cut cordwood in half to make a burning supply for the little stove. No more. $200 later, it has now found a new home. I think it was more suited to burning peat back on the emerald isle.

unit40 said:
Wasn't too sad about it, but I had to let the little Waterford go. It came with the house when I moved in. It was a beautiful blue stove with a fine glass door that always stayed clean. I cooked some dinners on it just for fun. But it would only take a 15 inch log. I had to cut cordwood in half to make a burning supply for the little stove. No more. $200 later, it has now found a new home. I think it was more suited to burning peat back on the emerald isle.
Did you replace it? Is there a new woma..I mean woodstove in your life?

I replaced it with a Jotul 3CB, Jotuliron enamel color. Have had another 3CB for about 5 years in the fireplace. This one goes in the man-cave. Although it is really a nice room. Nice thing about the Waterford was that it would hold a nice bed of embers for a day, so after a good stir of the coals and some blowing through a cracked open door, it was easy to get a good fire going again. The new Jotul is resting on a nice tile base. Though the base is not level. I found some extra tiles, and have cut them to make some nice shims to level the stove. The draft is very strong though. The waterford ended up warping the baffle, even when it was cranked way down. The Jotul piped through the fireplace will really crank out the heat, so I am trying to make this installation as safe as i can, so the stove will be controllable. At least it will take standard length firewood, which is a plus..

Status
Not open for further replies.