Sales Tax free weekend in MA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a new car? That would save a bundle. Sure wish we had that in MI.

And remember it is only up to $2500, so a full new system may have to be broken up. (liner etc...)

I dont get as excited as other people do about the holiday. I buy stuff that i was going to anyway, but was just putting off. Example, a bagger for my mower. I might buy it this weekend, just to save 23 whole bucks. Might.

Look around for additional deals. Many retailers match the savings from the sales tax, then the savings start kicking in.

Consdiering that NH (an adjoining state) is sales tax free all year long, the incentive for buying high value items in Mass this weekend is probably not that great of a deal.

peakbagger said:
Consdiering that NH (an adjoining state) is sales tax free all year long, the incentive for buying high value items in Mass this weekend is probably not that great of a deal.

Being from southern Maine I understand this all to well. Technically, if you go to NH (or any sales tax free state I guess) and buy something, you are supposed to claim and it on your taxes and pay the sales tax. Not sure if this is the same in Mass but if it is the tax holiday would be a legal way of buying something and not paying any sales tax. Also, if you live in Maine and buy a car in NH they make you pay the Maine sales tax when you register it so again, if it's the same in Mass the holiday would be the only way to avoid paying sales tax on a vehicle.

Automobiles, boats, restaurant tabs and anything over $ 2,500.00 is exempt.

Do the retailers cash in on the 'holiday' like they do around here?

A few years ago when the tax write-off for energy efficient modifications came out, signs immediately went up in the home improvement stores "10% tax rebate" I was shopping for some insulation at the time and happened to notice a new price sticker over the old one. I peeled back the new sticker and sure enough...new price was 10% higher than the old. Seems like several places had a pretty healthy jump in stove prices when that biofuel write-off was active, too.

Getting a 'holiday' or 'rebate' from the government is rarely that.

peakbagger said:

That is what I love about being in NH! As for the claiming it on your taxes, Governor Patrick in MA was trying to make it mandatory for NH retailers to report MA people that bought things in NH so sales tax could be collected- Governor Lynch basically laughed and told him to go to he--, not in so many words......

I have been meaning to write a letter to the MA legislature thanking them for sending us so much business- so come on up and buy your stoves here- where the tax free holiday lasts 365 days a year!

Remkel said:
peakbagger said:

That is what I love about being in NH! As for the claiming it on your taxes, Governor Patrick in MA was trying to make it mandatory for NH retailers to report MA people that bought things in NH so sales tax could be collected- Governor Lynch basically laughed and told him to go to he--, not in so many words......

I have been meaning to write a letter to the MA legislature thanking them for sending us so much business- so come on up and buy your stoves here- where the tax free holiday lasts 365 days a year!

And there is no limit to the amount that is tax free!

Cash is king in NH. Seriously, NH is five minutes away, why would I drive 30 minutes to the nearest decent shopping area here in MA. It is pure convenience for me. I have no problem paying MA sales tax, well when it was at 5.0% I didn't mind.

Remkel said:

All and well, but another example of one state living off others. That is, NH would do a lot less business if they didn't draw all those bargain hunters from across the border, and then they'd probably have to institute a sales tax! In other words, if other states did it, it wouldn't work any longer...

You are certainly welcome for the business. I used to always buy stuff at PC and MacConnection......both in NH. As long as loopholes exist, we will take care of them.

peakbagger said:

I have to agree with peak, I will go to nh to make larger purchases to avoid the sales tax, although its convenient to be here in mass when the yearly tax holiday comes. Today is the last day!

peakbagger said:
new Hampshire is one of my favorites because no sales tax best hiking and fireworks are legal. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.