1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by wishlist, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wishlist

wishlist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    Just a few pics of this summers fish camp at Frankfort, Mi. Had a great year but they are desperate for water , lake levels are very low this year!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Lake levels have been low for almost 20 years now, More than 15 years ago I was at The State park up by Green Bay the dock was high and dry the the water did not start until some 30 ft out from the dock. This wasn't a case of it not being put out as it was quite obvious where the shore line used to be. Weather patterns have changed quite a bit since the 60's and early 70's,nowhere near the same snowfall/rain amounts that we used to get. No I am not a proponent of global warming. Frankly I consider that a crock, but the natural forces such as volcanoes and earthquakes through out the world have a fantastic effect on weather patterns. There was a very small article recently about how various under sea quakes and volcanoes have caused a change in the ocean currents, which have an effect on the jet streams and hence shifting weather patterns, You never hear this from the GW proponents. By the way In the 50's we were all going to freeze to death by now.
  3. wishlist

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    Blades, the water level at the river mouth of the betsie has enormous amounts of sand bars exposed now. Salmon are actually having a hard time finding the river and are dying by being stranded in pools of water. The buzzards are having a feast. Never seen anything like this at Frankfort. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Nice catch Wishlist. The water levels are real low up this way too, we need a good winter so we can try and make up some of what we never received.

zap
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nice catch! Looks like some good eats are in store for your family, wishlist!!
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Nice catch for sure!

As for the 50's, in the early 50's they were predicting by the year 2000 we would no longer need winter coats. Yes, they did a turnaround after some very cold winters in the late 50's and again in the 70's. Remember Lake Superior freezing completely? Tain't happened since.
  7. wishlist

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    Dennis, I seem to remember once in the 80's all the great lakes were frozen over completely?

I have the fun part of canning salmon left to do. Then its on to chasing whitetails and scrounging more wood! :)
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I don't remember it in the 80's but do in 1979.
  9. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Nice catch...They look meaty!!
  10. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice catch
    Good eating too :)
  11. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    Lakes fully froze in 2009...
    [​IMG]

Before that it was 2003.

edit: sorry the image came in so big; not sure how to improve that....
  12. Oregon Bigfoot

Oregon Bigfoot Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Oregon
    Nice catch! I really love fishing for salmon. I fished Lake Superior last month, in August, out of Two Harbors, MN, and caught two Lake Trout.