Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Just a few pics of this summers fish camp at Frankfort, Mi. Had a great year but they are desperate for water , lake levels are very low this year!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347443526459.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347443526459.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 170
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347443596125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347443596125.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 153
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347443668969.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347443668969.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 161
Lake levels have been low for almost 20 years now, More than 15 years ago I was at The State park up by Green Bay the dock was high and dry the the water did not start until some 30 ft out from the dock. This wasn't a case of it not being put out as it was quite obvious where the shore line used to be. Weather patterns have changed quite a bit since the 60's and early 70's,nowhere near the same snowfall/rain amounts that we used to get. No I am not a proponent of global warming. Frankly I consider that a crock, but the natural forces such as volcanoes and earthquakes through out the world have a fantastic effect on weather patterns. There was a very small article recently about how various under sea quakes and volcanoes have caused a change in the ocean currents, which have an effect on the jet streams and hence shifting weather patterns, You never hear this from the GW proponents. By the way In the 50's we were all going to freeze to death by now.

Blades, the water level at the river mouth of the betsie has enormous amounts of sand bars exposed now. Salmon are actually having a hard time finding the river and are dying by being stranded in pools of water. The buzzards are having a feast. Never seen anything like this at Frankfort. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nice catch Wishlist. The water levels are real low up this way too, we need a good winter so we can try and make up some of what we never received.

zap

Nice catch! Looks like some good eats are in store for your family, wishlist!!

Nice catch for sure!

As for the 50's, in the early 50's they were predicting by the year 2000 we would no longer need winter coats. Yes, they did a turnaround after some very cold winters in the late 50's and again in the 70's. Remember Lake Superior freezing completely? Tain't happened since.

Dennis, I seem to remember once in the 80's all the great lakes were frozen over completely?

I have the fun part of canning salmon left to do. Then its on to chasing whitetails and scrounging more wood! :)

I don't remember it in the 80's but do in 1979.

Nice catch
Good eating too :)

Nice catch! I really love fishing for salmon. I fished Lake Superior last month, in August, out of Two Harbors, MN, and caught two Lake Trout.

Status
Not open for further replies.