minesmoria Posted By minesmoria, Mar 11, 2006 at 12:32 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minesmoria

minesmoria
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2005
    There is a log sort here on the coast, some of the logs are dumped in the ocean before grading the logs they then move the logs on land.

I can get lots of free reject logs that have been sitting on land for a a few years, it rains a lot here i would think if there was any salt on them it would get washed away over a 2 year time frame.

PACIFIC ENERGY SUPER 27 STOVE AND SELKIRK CHIMNEY!

2. Todd

Todd
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I would guess they are probably ok if the logs have been on land for a couple of years. Is there any white salt like residue on them?

3. minesmoria

minesmoria
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2005
    I dont notice any white spots looks like regular wood, the whole logs have not been in the ocean very long a few weeks tops.

These logs are not the grey colored beachd logs that have been drifting in the ocean for years.

I dont think the salt gets inside the center of the log.

The logs are big hemlock massive balsm and some yellow ceder.

4. webbie

webbie
    Seasoned Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I would suspect that these are OK, whereas usual driftwood is not - the high salt content will corrode a steel stove over time....but whole logs in the ocean for a short while and on land awhile afterwards should not have a high salt content.

5. Shane

Shane
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2005
    Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Too bad there's not a salt meter. Perhaps you could lick a log or two to determine the salt content. :)

6. Corey

Corey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 19, 2005
    Loc:
    Midwest
    Actually, there is somewhat...

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/pool/insta.html

Salt test strips could be as close as your local pool and spa store. You could probably soak some bark or small splinters/sawdust in water, then take a reading. But then that brings up the question of "what is an OK salt level" and what is "too high". I would have to vote with everyone else that if it has only been in the water for a few weeks, probably nothing to worry about.

Corey

Attached Files:

7. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    I'd just take a small sample log from that wood and burn it. If it has any measurable amount of salt, you will get a characteristic bright yellow-orange flame of sodium.

A lot of my logs generate a bright green flame when burned - I can only suspect they have a high copper content. How, I don't know.

8. minesmoria

minesmoria
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 17, 2005
    The salt strips are on there way i will soak some bark and wood in water and sees what it says.

If you lick the wood it does not taste like salt, the odd time i get a bright yellow flame but not blue why?

I would say its just the out side of the log that gets the salt then most of it gets washed away over time on land.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.