SALT WOOD LOGS BURN!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
There is a log sort here on the coast, some of the logs are dumped in the ocean before grading the logs they then move the logs on land.

I can get lots of free reject logs that have been sitting on land for a a few years, it rains a lot here i would think if there was any salt on them it would get washed away over a 2 year time frame.

PACIFIC ENERGY SUPER 27 STOVE AND SELKIRK CHIMNEY!

I would guess they are probably ok if the logs have been on land for a couple of years. Is there any white salt like residue on them?

I dont notice any white spots looks like regular wood, the whole logs have not been in the ocean very long a few weeks tops.

These logs are not the grey colored beachd logs that have been drifting in the ocean for years.

I dont think the salt gets inside the center of the log.

The logs are big hemlock massive balsm and some yellow ceder.

dwarfcityminesofmoria said:
There is a log sort here on the coast, some of the logs are dumped in the ocean before grading the logs they then move the logs on land.

I can get lots of free reject logs that have been sitting on land for a a few years, it rains a lot here i would think if there was any salt on them it would get washed away over a 2 year time frame.

PACIFIC ENERGY SUPER 27 STOVE AND SELKIRK CHIMNEY!

I would suspect that these are OK, whereas usual driftwood is not - the high salt content will corrode a steel stove over time....but whole logs in the ocean for a short while and on land awhile afterwards should not have a high salt content.

Shane said:
Too bad there's not a salt meter. Perhaps you could lick a log or two to determine the salt content. :)

Actually, there is somewhat...

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/pool/insta.html

Salt test strips could be as close as your local pool and spa store. You could probably soak some bark or small splinters/sawdust in water, then take a reading. But then that brings up the question of "what is an OK salt level" and what is "too high". I would have to vote with everyone else that if it has only been in the water for a few weeks, probably nothing to worry about.

Corey

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 349
I'd just take a small sample log from that wood and burn it. If it has any measurable amount of salt, you will get a characteristic bright yellow-orange flame of sodium.

A lot of my logs generate a bright green flame when burned - I can only suspect they have a high copper content. How, I don't know.

The salt strips are on there way i will soak some bark and wood in water and sees what it says.

If you lick the wood it does not taste like salt, the odd time i get a bright yellow flame but not blue why?

I would say its just the out side of the log that gets the salt then most of it gets washed away over time on land.

Status
Not open for further replies.