Salt

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
So I was up at Home Despot, and ice-melt salt was $5/40# bag. But water softener salt was $4.50# bag. The water softener salt says it's "99.5% halite." Can anybody think of anything in the other 0.5% that would mean it's unsuitable for throwing on the ice-covered stairs?

Thanks
Steve

Water softener salt is in BIG chunks. It would have to be broken up prior to using.

Just go to the piles at the DPW and fill some 5 gallon buckets one night, you paid for it :)

Water softener salt should work, except for the chunks as already mentioned. Although the thought of pouring all that salt on the stairs then tracking it back indoors makes me cringe...I guess it is preferable to falling on the icy stairs, though.

A few other options would be to look for simple "rock salt". All you are trying to do is avoid the price of the wording....in the winter anything that says "ice melt" is going to have a premium price...if it is for a water softner is might carry a premium price to be a little more pure and clean looking. Some other things that might work are sand, small gravel, or high nitrogen fertilizer...like 10-0-0 which is mostly ammonium nitrate...another salt that will melt ice quite nicely and fertilize surrounding greenery at the same time.

Corey

The ashes from your stove will keep the ice from being slippery and make it melt faster if the sun is out.

huh..I thought I was the one of the limited few that did that....as for tracking it back into the house, shoes off on entry put a stop to that. :)

I only spread salt on the sidewalk. Other spots get ash. The sidewalk gets ash too, but I want to get rid of the ice for liability reasons.

Matt

wrenchmonster said:
Kitty Litter works great for ice, it's clay and is harmless to soil and plants. Make sure to buy the unscented type, unless you want that fresh scent on your walks.

-Kevin

Kitty litter is also good in the garage to soak up spilled oil and the like, same stuff as "Speedydry" and half the price....

Gooserider

kregars said:
huh..I thought I was the one of the limited few that did that....as for tracking it back into the house, shoes off on entry put a stop to that. :)

Don't anny of you guys have mud rooms?

I got ice melt at the dollar store for a buck for 40#'s

You can buy salt for softener that is crushed and just a bit larger than rock salt.

Gooserider said:
wrenchmonster said:
Kitty Litter works great for ice, it's clay and is harmless to soil and plants. Make sure to buy the unscented type, unless you want that fresh scent on your walks.

-Kevin

Kitty litter is also good in the garage to soak up spilled oil and the like, same stuff as "Speedydry" and half the price....

Gooserider

Yep. I usually use saw dust for oil spills, but that's only because I can usually find some easier than the kitty litter. Oh by the way, the cheapest kitty litter will work. No need to buy the scoopable stuff or a high price brand name. It's just going on the floor afterall.

-Kevin

I never put anything on to melt ice, at least I haven't bought any such product that I can recall. A friend who housesat one winter bought some and I think we still have it. I am a gardener and rabid environmentalist, and as salt kills plants, I would not be inclined to put it anywhere in my yard. I previously suggested the ash thing to hubby, but he said he didn't want us tracking ashes into the house. We just shovel where appropriate, and do not live in the city/suburbs so don't have to worry about people walking by. Didn't use it when we did, though, either. Also hate softened water, tastes slimey to me, so when we had water softeners in our first two houses we just disconnected them. Probably we are weirdos, what can I say. I do have a large bag of pure salt for pickling, non-iodized salt for when I have certain thyroid tests, and regular table salt. And I love salty snacks, so am not anti-salt per se.

I used water softener salt last year. Worked fine and it is much cheaper than ice melting products. Doing the same again this year along with ash.

wrenchmonster said:

-Kevin

And make sure it's fresh.... not used. :ahhh:

homefire said:
kregars said:

Don't anny of you guys have mud rooms?

WHAT
I just upgraded to an EPA stove, I aint made of money .............................. ;) Wrench

Water softener salt will work fine and it is available in the crushed form. It will also work for making ice cream if you are into that. I've been working on a 40# bag for several years now that I purchased for less than the 1# bag of "ice dream salt". I dump my ashes on our rock surfaced lane (driveway) just in case there are any embers.

Some Like It Hot, Have you tried Potassium Chloride to soften the water? We don't use sodium for ours. Its also healthier. We water our plants with it and they love it.

coalkirk said:
Salt will destroy your concrete also. Use calcium chloride.

Calcium Chloride is a great ice melter,but if you think sodium chloride (halite, rock salt), will destroy your concrete and kill your plants fast, calcium chloride will do it even faster! Its a great product to melt ice, but its absolutely BRUTAL on concrete!

Status
Not open for further replies.