Same Length Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halfpipe

the new Heilsa pellet stove arrived today and on the inside of the hopper door is a sticker advising to use pellets of similar size otherwise expect a jam.
I suppose they must mean lenght because diameter of the pellets in a batch should be the same.
Who makes pellets of equalish length?

My stove likes shorter, more drop meaning better consistant fire esp at lower burn rates.
I've seen some pellet's long as 3"+

halfpipe said:
....Who makes pellets of equalish length?

No pellets that I've seen have all same size. I think the stove manufacturer is just "covering their ash" just in case you DO get a jam. I wouldn't sweat it unless you get a brand that has a lot of VERY long (1 1/2"+) pellets.

I am betting that the stove was made in a non English speaking country and something is a miss in the translation to English. Probably should be excessive length could cause auger jams. Just be careful with long length pellets. If you see something longer than 1 1/2 try to break up as many as possible.

When I pour a bag in I look and move them around and break up any longer ones... sometimes I find 1 1/2 inchers in there.

bought a dozen bags of Lignetics the other day, made from Hardwood Sawdust and all seem longish with some of them measuring 1 3/4"
Will have to hunt down shorter ones.

halfpipe said:
bought a dozen bags of Lignetics the other day, made from Hardwood Sawdust and all seem longish with some of them measuring 1 3/4"
Will have to hunt down shorter ones.

Look for Oakanagans (made in Canada), shorter pellet and burn real good ;-)

I wonder if different lenghts in the hopper screws up (pun intended) the burn rate.
The auger's ability to maintain a constant fuel delivery rate must be impacted if the lengths vary considerably

halfpipe said:
I wonder if different lenghts in the hopper screws up (pun intended) the burn rate.
The auger's ability to maintain a constant fuel delivery rate must be impacted if the lengths vary considerably

I've thought about this before. If, for example. the pellets were all the size of peas, wouldn't more mass be transferred into the burnpot? Although I realize this is just a hypothetical, it can't matter much in the way of heat.

?????????? Wonder how peas would burn if at all. Think about it no more sticking to the side of hopper. Real green heat ha ha.

Yes, You could burn peas as long as there dry enough.

I tried proving something in this thread. But there wasn't much interest in it, but lots of bickering. so I stopped.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58373/

If the pellets are of similar size. the stove will feed equal volume. The weight difference is from the density of the pellet. My theory!

Status
Not open for further replies.