Same old chestnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stella

Burning Hunk
Every year a British newspaper prints an article decrying wood burning stoves. This year is no exception https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...es-emit-six-times-pollution-diesel-truck.html

Surely the problem is exactly what is being burnt rather than the stoves themselves? I have lit and enjoyed my stove for the first time this autumn having had it cleaned and the gasket replaced. The olive wood I am currently burning is at least two years old and has been baked during a hot Greek summer. I should be interested to know how much I am damaging the environment and endangering health. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Slocum
Yup. I burn well-seasoned wood using the stove manufacturer's suggested burning technique. Once it's up to 400 F there's no smoke seen going out of the chimney.

Some people's chimney plume looks/smells like they're burning old shoes...

Reactions: Slocum
Every year a British newspaper prints an article decrying wood burning stoves. This year is no exception https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...es-emit-six-times-pollution-diesel-truck.html

Surely the problem is exactly what is being burnt rather than the stoves themselves? I have lit and enjoyed my stove for the first time this autumn having had it cleaned and the gasket replaced. The olive wood I am currently burning is at least two years old and has been baked during a hot Greek summer. I should be interested to know how much I am damaging the environment and endangering health. Any thoughts?
Burn dry wood in a modern stove, and you're good!

Briefly skimming the article, it seems to point out that open hearths produce large amounts of smoke/pollution, and modern stoves are a "good thing," but implied most people did not use modern stoves correctly so it was not helping and the effect was negligible.
Another line stated that most people did not need to burn wood because of electricity and gas.
Seems to be scientific, but has a lot of subtle bias hidden within the article.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Posted in another thread in which a UK resident promptly responded to trust nothing printed in the Daily Mail.

Reactions: Stella

Daily Mail. This is their front page right now.

SmartSelect_20181119-135932_Chrome.jpg

How could anyone possibly confuse this with a source of information?

Seems legit...

LOL