Same Quad 1000 - new problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jawsont

Dec 18, 2012
Thanks to everybody that answered my convection blower problem my Quad 1000, though 20 years old, runs like new.

However, with 'new' operation, comes a new problem. Every once in a while in the past the pot fills with pellets and won't light. Now it seems to occur about 80% of the time when the stove kicks off (it's on a thermostat), then kicks back on after a short period of time (5 min?). If the stove starts 'cold' or after an extended break, the stove ignites properly pretty much 100% of time.

I THINK the thermocouple is properly set in the pot (about 1" in as far as I can tell). The thermocouple tip is touching the ceramic sleeve. The stove is clean and the heat transfer vanes are brushed off both up top, and in the back behind the plating.

The only thing I can think of is that auger won't shut off on startup after dispensing pellets because the unit thinks it's still hot and fire is present. The auger just keeps dishing it out.

Any thoughts?

Check the anticipator on your t-stat.

Adjust it so it allows the stove more time to cool off or you could change out the convection blower snap disc so it starts the convection blower up earlier during start up and shuts it off later during shut down to cool things off a bit more.

If the stove "short cycles" it will still sense over the 200° and will not stop feeding pellets.

This will cause a very large flame on start up.

What is the "Swing" that your stat has? I run a 3°-4° swing (set temp 72°- Stove on at 69° and off at 72° at 3° swing // set temp 72° - Stove on at 68° and off at 72° at 4° swing)

This allows proper time for stove to cool and have a proper Start up sequence.

So, after pulling my thermostat apart - it would appear I have no anticipator setting screw/slider (I have a Honeywell RTH4300B). Perhaps the simplest solution would be to pick up a new thermostat that allows for more detailed control of the on/off settings. About the only control I have is a selector in the back that chooses between oil/gas and heat pump/electric (i'm going from memory - I don't want to detach the unit from the wall since it's on).

You want a t-stat with either an adjustable swing or span setting. These are the new fangled terms for an adjustable anticipator.

Before I go out and get the thermostat. I rarely had this problem before I switched the snapdiscs (1 & 2 - but not the one on the auger) out. Is it possible I've reversed the poles on one of them (i.e. installed it upside down)? One of them looked sufficiently like the old one I know it was installed right-side up, but the other one's a crap-shoot. Would it matter or are they just acting as a switch at temperature?

This burn-pot/auger thing is now happening 100% of the time after a long running period.The stove turns off, the stove turns on no too long after the flame is gone, the pot fills and the ignition fails.

bah.

Barring the snapdisc being the issue, I'll grab a new thermostat while I'm in town over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.