Sam's Club Charging Sales Tax

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Drum

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2009
Saco, Maine
Just an FYI, Sam's Club in South Portland/Scarborough, Maine charged me sales tax on my pellet purchase. I noticed on the way out the door, complained, and got the tax credited back to my card. I asked why they are charging sales tax and the cashier supervisor replied "it's just set up that way in the computer". She already knew there was no tax, and she didn't argue with me a bit. I wasn't telling her anything she hadn't heard many times before. I suggested telling the cashiers that there is NO tax on wood pellets in Maine.

She just smiled and rolled her eyes. :)

Hmmm, I'm starting to think it's not an honest mistake. :mad:
Mike -

just think of how much they have stolen from people who dont know better,and dont check their reciepts.

i didnt think it was all that hard to print a MEMO and post at each register.

mike

side note: was at walmart in newport today and noticed that the penningtons they are selling were $6+ a bag last week and dropped to $5.38 this week.

I would say it was an honest mistake; I bought 2-1/2 tons there, 3 trips/transactions plus several other transactions (buying up their discounted open bags). Never had a problem (except for people in line behind me getting impatient because the tax thing required a supervisor override every time) :)

Romy said:
. . . the tax thing required a supervisor override every time . . .

Hmmm, interesting. Maybe it's not the company at all, but the cashiers who feel pressured to keep the line moving? They probably hope you'll pay for your purchase and just go away. Calling for the supervisor always gets a cashier some death stares from people waiting in line.
Mike -

The other thing to keep in mind is, if there's tax calculated, charged, and receipted, they're not keeping it. Their accounting system will show that and the government will come knocking.

Honest mistake, I'd say. It's one thing to overcharge a customer, another to hold on to taxes with a paper trail.

The only thing that ticked me off at my local Sam's was after I carefully stacked 1/2 ton on one of the flat carts and pushed it to the counter on my own, they insisted on moving each bag to another flat cart while scanning them individually. I told the young punk line nazi that if they fell over in the parking lot that he would be out there picking them up and loading them in my truck. The hottie cashier was rolling her eyes as she helped him transfer each bag to the cart. I checked the receipt to make sure I didn't get charged tax.

Firenutz said:
The only thing that ticked me off at my local Sam's was after I carefully stacked 1/2 ton on one of the flat carts and pushed it to the counter on my own, they insisted on moving each bag to another flat cart while scanning them individually. I told the young punk line nazi that if they fell over in the parking lot that he would be out there picking them up and loading them in my truck. The hottie cashier was rolling her eyes as she helped him transfer each bag to the cart. I checked the receipt to make sure I didn't get charged tax.

Ya, they do that at our Sam's Club also. They want to protect against people hiding stuff under the bags of pellets. In the future ask at the customer service desk if you can get them off a pallet at the loading dock. They will bring the pallet to your truck/car so you can load them.

Bkins

Status
Not open for further replies.