Santa Fe and -4

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2011
SW CO
www.gregdinger.com
Our little Santa Fe had its first real test last night. We've been lingering around 15-28 degrees for about 15 days, and its been purring right along on medium doing great. I basically run the feed wide open on low and medium. I let the tstat handle it at night, so if it gets over 72 downstairs we don't roast upstairs.

Well we had a storm come through Sunday night into yesterday leaving behind about 6" of light dry snow, and it cleared up yesterday about 4pm. The temp immediately dropped like a rock to about 18 at sunset. By about 10pm it was 10 outside, and 69-70 inside downstairs. I hadn't really yet run the stove on high overnight, so I throttled back the feed some, poured another scotch, and flipped her to high. The scotch was only so I had time to make sure my adjustment was sufficient.

Happy to say it handled our low of -4 with flying colors. I actually had to come down about 4am and throttle it back a little more as I was overheating. On paper the SantaFe is a little undersized (1800sq) for our 1970 ft, but our house layout sure favors it.

Like an old big block under full load, they do get thirsty don't they? Or hungry I guess.

Reactions: DexterDay
They are a dandy of a unit and my buddies likes Med or High setting a lot better than Low.

Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good :)

Sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good :)

Till I run the hopper dry at 6am.... doh!

Wife rolls over smack me and says "why's the heater on?".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357157024.526568.jpg

Yeah.... You gotta keep them fed when there Crankin!!!

They are very hungry on High and Med

Status
Not open for further replies.