Santa Fe Blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpcollen1

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2007
Western CT
Both of my blowers have a pretty good whine to them. Is it worth trying to rebuild them or is it better to just replace the entire unit? They are about 5 years old.

CTwoodburner said:
Both of my blowers have a pretty good whine to them. Is it worth trying to rebuild them or is it better to just replace the entire unit? They are about 5 years old.
1. have you clean both of the motors and cages? They can get pretty dirty with dust and ash.
2. Have you tried oiling the motors? A little machine oil into each bearing orks wonders.

I'd look at doing both above before rebuilding them.

A good cleanup and some lube, maybe? Do the blowers have the lube ports on the motors? The blowers are a little pricey for the quads.

Wine or vibration? A lot of times the black shroud will vibrate loose. You can fix this by hammering the crimps that hold it sin place. If it is a wine you may have some dirt within the thermal cooling fan just under the stator. A pipe cleaning brush and vac will rid of this. A squirt of high temp graphite over the bearing may make it quieter too. Obviously removing it and cleaning the fly ash from under the impeller can help out the olde tire motor. If you have lube ports there is usually a sticker which says lube every 6 months with SAE 20. The convection motor is more likely to have the lube ports, though the convection fasco motors, especially if the serial starts with 7112 seem to all be sealed bearing. Hope this helps.

This does help and it is definitely bearing type noise.

I did pull the convection motor out and lube it but it did not help so I think that one needs replacing for sure. I did not pull the exhaust out yet b/c it is a PIA but will do it soon. It gives me hope that there may be an oil port on it.

CTwoodburner said:
....It gives me hope that there may be an oil port on it.

For the most part, combustion blowers don't have any lube ports due to the high temps involved, but there are a few convection blowers that do.....my Astoria had lube ports on the conv. motor, but neither that stove, or my newer Englander multi-fuel have lube ports on comb. motor....sealed ball bearings there.

From what I remember, there were no oil ports - just sealed bearings. I guess I have to think about if I feel like replacing the bearings on these units or replacing. I'll double check again for oil ports.

Myself and some other members are always trying to help others with the OEM replacements. Fasco makes blowers for most of these stoves out there and we can generally fine a good cross reference for them. A.O Smith also has a good blower line up to choose from.

But we need more info from the stove owner. If you could post the numbers on the blowers we may be able to find something in a more reasonable priced. Or snap a good close up of the motor label and lets see if theres something out there. If the whole unit is not replaceable, We may be able to cross just the motor for the blower. Easy swap and less than a half hours work! Average savings is about $100 bucks!

Will do! Thanks for the heads up.

j-takeman said:
Myself and some other members are always trying to help others with the OEM replacements. Fasco makes blowers for most of these stoves out there and we can generally fine a good cross reference for them. A.O Smith also has a good blower line up to choose from.

But we need more info from the stove owner. If you could post the numbers on the blowers we may be able to find something in a more reasonable priced. Or snap a good close up of the motor label and lets see if theres something out there. If the whole unit is not replaceable, We may be able to cross just the motor for the blower. Easy swap and less than a half hours work! Average savings is about $100 bucks!

...and post it to the mother of all lists.

smwilliamson said:
j-takeman said:

...and post it to the mother of all lists.

Thats the plan! I always share. When the list gets going, we should ask it to be stickied!

Here's a photo of me in front of the room blower on my St. Croix Pepin stove...it has 43 grease fittings and runs on 480V 3 phase... these St. Croix's are pretty stout... blew my mother-in-law through the picture window in my living room last January...

Attachments

• 120_inch_prop_fan.jpg
    120_inch_prop_fan.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 297
the Exh. blower is a pain to get out for sure and there are no points to oil i would try cleaning really well again befor pulling it

Gonna cost you the farm when that puppy dicides to go south! I don't think you need the high speed setting do ya?

j-takeman said:
Gonna cost you the farm when that puppy dicides to go south! I don't think you need the high speed setting do ya?

I'm think of getting a variable speed control for it... maybe the correct setting would be 1 rpm...

the 812-4400 is the same basic motor configuration as whitfields with 5 3/4" hub.
BUT, the quad uses JAKEL, and whitfield uses FASCO
compare the two:
size etc same
amps---fasco 1.2 jakel .54

also, the jakel is sooo much smoother and quiter than the fasco.

so, buy a fasco, modify wiring, maybe add speed control, deal with the noise
or, find/buy a Jakel

Jakel motors are tough to get on the open market. They seem to last longer than a Fasco or A.O. Smith and are much quiter overall. Still digging but a Fasco could work in its place.

SMW any luck finding a Jakel source?

Status
Not open for further replies.