Santa Fe Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
Well I was concerned with a couple chips, but not cracks in my burn pot. So I sent a couple pics to my dealer, and he said he was going to replace it. I didn't really know if it was bad enough to be under warranty since the pot isn't even really cracked or anything. He said he is ordering me a new one and will call when he gets it. What do you guys think ??

Attachments

• Crack1.jpg
    Crack1.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 241
  • crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 213
Are you sure that isn't build up that has fallen away from the large hole. If you look at the transition from vertical to the sloped section, you can see a layer of build up.

If it isn't, then wow, I better start looking at mine!!! Looks like a bad casting then. Imagine that, a bad casting from China! ;-) Who could have imagined that.

I looked pretty close and thought that myself. The stove is burning so good right now there isn't much build up near those areas half way up or at the top ....so I sent the pics to the place I bought it from. They wrote back saying they will be ordering a new one, so I'm thinking they thought the same. But I can see what your saying ..

Hank Hill said:
I looked pretty close and thought that myself. The stove is burning so good right now there isn't much build up near those areas half way up or at the top ....so I sent the pics to the place I bought it from. They wrote back saying they will be ordering a new one, so I'm thinking they thought the same. But I can see what your saying ..

Thanks, better safe than sorry. Since they were so quick to order one, it makes you wonder if this was the first one they saw or if it is an emerging problem that we all should look at. For that reason alone, good timely post! If I find any problems, then I can use your experience as well as mine for leverage.

Probably carbon, should sand off. Please clean the carbon off the ceramic shield.

My pot has those all over it. I thought it must have been one of those ceramic coated pots and the ceramic was chipping away. That stuff is impossible to remove.

If you're getting a new pot, I should get three! Well, mine IS many years old, the cast is now flaking off in sheets, I think after this season she'll need a new one. Or maybe not?

I guess the Chinese have run out of good 1954 Chevy steel and they are into 1970's Chrysler steel. :p

Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive, but I guess if i'm going to be, the warranty period is a good time. Just dont want to blow it off and then warranty is up and then say hey I should have done this or that.

Hank Hill said:
Maybe I'm being hyper sensitive, but I guess if i'm going to be, the warranty period is a good time. Just dont want to blow it off and then warranty is up and then say hey I should have done this or that.

Absolutely, especially since warranty does cover it and others are seeing flaking off of the casting. I'd do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.