Santa Fe Door Lock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2011
SW CO
www.gregdinger.com
Hello all,

I would like to pick your brains some regarding the door latch mechanism on our new Santa Fe. Our young'en hasn't messed with it too much, but once was too much for me, so I would like to engineer out the problem.

Thankfully the stove has the safety built in so it quits feeding when the door opens, but that doesn't help little fingers and the potential for hot embers in the room.

FWIW our daughter has autism so the latch is "interesting" to her, as is the entire unit. She is rarely alone in the room, and seems to be respecting the stove overall, but I want to be as safe as possible.

Any thoughts on a locking mechanism for the door?

maybe a small gate in front of the stove.. or Tye wraps may work, not sure the handle gets that hot on the santa fe but it may
work.

and if does get real hot u could use a metal wire instead.

X2^^ Look up Kidco Hearth Gates. Sold at Target around here, but can be had be several retailers online.

Gate not really feasible with the room setup, but thanks for the link.

I spent some time today and have a prototype. Waiting for a piece of hardware to finish the install, then I will abide and post photos. Not a lock per se, but a deterrent and will work great for my purposes, at least until she figures out "lefty loosey".

Testing tonight and I think its solid.

It sounds like you have a good plan working. Anything to make it a little harder to open should help! Cant wait to se the solution you came up with,

Hung out at the lathe for lunch yesterday.

I used a 5/16x1/2" bolt, drilled through it and tapped it to 10-24. Then I rounded the hex so it looked a little smoother. I found a black round cover for the 10-24x1 1/2" machine screw, and it makes it a nice handle to turn the "lock screw" a couple turns out to unlock it. I have a knurled screw ordered but this one may just work out fine. Plus, not that it gets hot, but the cover makes a nice heat shield for the screw-head. I eyeballed the door to hit the inner part of the latch on center as seen by the pencil marks on the door around the installed part, drilled it, installed the bushing and latched the door. I used the bushing as a guide for the inner hole so it lined up perfect, and money.

The Wifey looked on from the couch antagonized because I was going to break the new expensive stove with my cordless drill.

So far so good, and it is nice and solid. Like I said, at least until she learns lefty loosey.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Pics 100.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 100.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Pellet Stove Pics 104.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 104.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Pellet Stove Pics 105.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 105.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Pellet Stove Pics 107.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 107.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Pellet Stove Pics 099.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 099.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Pellet Stove Pics 103.jpg
    Pellet Stove Pics 103.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 184
That looks great. It looks like it will do the job AND it looks like it belongs there!

helismash said:
That looks great. It looks like it will do the job AND it looks like it belongs there!

X2! Looks prOfessional

I always thought it was fun drilling holes in new things.

Status
Not open for further replies.