Santa Fe Insert Installed today….ordered 7/31/08(pictures inside)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offingmoot

Jul 15, 2008
Central/South Jersey
One ton of Energex pellets in the basement

Lots of problems along the way during this install. I bought the stove directly from a dealer whom my installer buys through. I saved a few hundred by buying direct and also saved 3% for paying cash. Dealer took order late on 7/31 after prices were changed in their computer to reflect the price increase that went into effect 8/1. I sent him a ceck or the deposit.
I had all he details worked out the night before. Installer scheduled to arrive @1000. will pay his labor and balance on stove in cash. Supposedly installer had it all worked out with them as well.

Got call at 11 from stove shop they need the balance on the stove before they’ll give it to my installer. After some discussion they agreed to let me pay the installer like previously arranged. Salesman and Lady at front have wires crossed…not the first time either

After the guys arrived they realized they had two installs in one day one santa fe insert, one stove. They loaded the trucks backwards. Had to wait several hours for new delivery.

No outside air kit included, the dealer was supposed to order it and I was under impression it was included in his final quote that I never got an invoice for. $120 for 2 feet of 2” flex piping, a dryer vent, and some mixed pieces to make it universal kit.
Well we need about 3 ½ feet to come out the right side of the stove and around the back and exit the left side of the chimney. Went to depot, local hardware, and local plumbing supply….nobody carries 2” or couplers to convert 2” to 3”. So went bac to depot bought 3” and installer crimped and tape the junctions.

It was a terribly messy job repointing the whole front of the fireplace. House is 75 years old and I decided to go with grey mortar instead of white, hope I made the right decision
I had no idea how much dust would be flying he said nothing about that. The room is completely covered in dust. The whole house kinda smells like a bar b q and dust, cause the return for the ac if a few feet from the stove. I placed a box on it and made a point to tell the guys but I noticed it was moved and uncovered a few times.

The bottom of my chimney is to thick for him to drill so I have a thermostat wire coming out of the left and around the side with a whole in my floor for access to the basement and over and up to the thermostat. Wasn’t expecting that….also it has a regular 110 plug on it that has to be plugged in so that comes out of the side of the insert too. Not that it’s a huge deal but I had no idea there were going to be wires out the side…it looks pretty busted.

Also not thrilled that the panel doesn’t exactly cover the bottom of the opening in the fireplace. Installer said it would it is almost flush with it instead of going over it.

At least the two guys helped me load the pellets off the truck and then into my basement….only took us 15 minutes

Attachments

• B4.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 503
after pic

Attachments

• After.bmp
    225.1 KB · Views: 467
pellets

Attachments

• P8191616.JPG
    P8191616.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 433
Well, the install sounds like it was a pain in the ***. All in all, w/ the exception of the cord coming out the side, it still looks pretty nice. This winter when you have it running, and saving $ on your heat bill, you'll look back and say "well, it wasn't all THAT bad"....look at all those people that didn't even GET their stoves.

BTW, how big an area are you heating w/ that? Is 1 ton enough?

Congrats! Cord isn't a biggy imo. Most pellet stove
installs I've seen the cord is visible and plugged
into the wall next to the stove. Looks good!

my house is just under 1400 sqr ft 9 foot ceilings....1/2 the house is open the room with the stove has french doors into the dining room and then the kitchen with no door....the other 1/2 of the house is a small hallway and 2 15X15 bedrooms seperated by a bathroom
i am hoping i wont need my furnace this winter above 20 degrees
i am planning on getting at least one more ton but pellets are hard to get where i am, my dealer is only selling one ton to each of his customers...the energex are hardwood, depot is about to get softwood for $249/ton and i can rent a truck for $25
not sure what i will do

offingmoot said:
i am planning on getting at least one more ton but pellets are hard to get where i am, my dealer is only selling one ton to each of his customers...the energex are hardwood, depot is about to get softwood for $249/ton and i can rent a truck for $25 not sure what i will do

I'd get at least 2 more tons at HD. Better to have & not need.

2 tons = $498 + $25= $523/2 = $261.50

Still not bad by todays prices in the NE, and every ton you buy decreases the "shipping" cost per ton.

not sure how hard vs softwood is going to workout, but if for some reason one is that much worse than the other i can always mix the tons together

one thing that affects that price calculation is the depot truck is only 1 1/2 tons, so i need two trips @ $25 a piece or delivery is $65
actually now that i think of it i should have 2 tons delivered one stuck in the shed wrapped up and the other i can stack in the basement next to the one i have

offingmoot said:
not sure how hard vs softwood is going to workout, but if for some reason one is that much worse than the other i can always mix the tons together

I am no expert on pellet stoves, but from what I have read here, IMO, I wouldn't be too concerned about softwood/hardwood...the softwood seems to have a higher BTU output anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.